Sleeping Murder

Author: Agatha Christie
Title: Sleeping Murder1
Series: A Miss Marple Mystery (book 12)
Number of Pages: 224
Publication Date: 1976
Genre: Mystery
Synopsis: "When pretty, young newlywed Gwenda Reed travels from New Zealand to England ahead of her new husband, she encounters a series of strange déjà vu’s. First there’s the Victorian coastal house that feels disturbingly familiar. Then a line of dialogue heard at a London play triggers a terrifying vision of a dead woman's body with the killer poised over her, sending Gwenda running in terror into the streets. Fortunately, Miss Marple is also at the theater and, curious, she pursues Gwenda. What follows is one of the intrepid investigator’s most engaging cases as she ignores her own advice to Gwenda to “let sleeping murder lie.”

Would you believe me if I said, that I am currently writing this review a full year after I read it? It has taken me that long to put into words what I wanted to say about it.

I absolutely loved reading Sleeping Murder. It was one of my all time favorite Miss Marple Mysteries that had me on the edge of my seat wondering if Gwenda was truly remembering something that actually happened or not.
Other than offering a great mystery, Sleeping Murder features one of my favorite amateur detectives.
I think my favorite part of the book would be how Gwenda memories of the past were set off by a line in a play2 that she saw shortly after moving to her new home in England.
I loved how near the end of the book you thought that you had managed to guess who the murder was, but only to find out that you were entirely wrong.
Even though the character Miss Marple is quite old she has a funny sense of humor and is not easily fooled. Plus, she can get away with asking weird questions and people just think some crazy old lady and tell her what she wants to know.
Sleeping Murder is a finely written murder/mystery novel and I would recommend any book of Agatha Christie's.
Sleeping Murder earns 5 out of 5 pineapples.
Orchid
For more Agatha Christie check out the following titles:
Curtain
The Mysterious Affair at Styles
Death On the Nile
_______________________________________________
1. Sleeping Murder is part of my personnal book collection.
2. The play that the character Gwenda was watching was John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi, with the line, "Cover her face; mine eyes dazzle; she died young."  

Comments

Popular Posts