For the Love of Venice


Author: Donna Jo Napoli
Title: For the Love of Venice1
Number of Pages: 256
Publication Date: 1998
Genre: YA/Fiction & Romance
Synopsis: "Romance and political action set against the mystery and beauty of modern-day Venice, Italy.

Percy is reluctant to accompany his family to Venice for the summer until he meets Graziella, a beautiful and passionate girl who leads him into another Venice, one that tourists never see.
Venice was once a great power. Today,
much of it belongs to foreigners. Through Graziella, Percy is drawn into a world where young Venetians make desperate, dangerous plans to save their city from being taken over by foreigners and tourists—outsiders, like Percy."
While I'm not generally into books that have a big emphasis on romance, I have yet again found myself enjoying reading For the Love of Venice.

My absolute favorite part of the book would have to be how the author Donna Jo Napoli describes Venice with all its flaws; along with Percy's attempt to woo the Venetian Graziella.
It was quite funny watching Percy make a fool of himself while trying to impress Graziella and fit into life in Venice, while also trying not to come across as a tourist himself. Besides how many times to you get to read a book with a big emphasis on falling love were the MC is a guy... Not many.
The best part of the book would have to be when Venice starts to flood and Percy and Graziella have to try and locate Percy's brother and another boy (whose name escapes me at the moment).
I also enjoyed how the book was about more than Percy's love life; it had a group of young Venetians trying to prevent EXPO from coming to Venice and bringing more tourist. And the extremes in which they are willing to go through to stop it.
For the Love of Venice is a fairly lighthearted read, with a few serious moments. I’m definitely glad that I was able to find and re-read For the Love of Venice.

For the Love of Venice earns 4 out of 5 pineapples.
Orchid
____________________________________________
1. For the Love of Venice was borrowed from the library.

Comments

  1. This one looks good! I think I remember seeing these books before :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Donna Jo Napoli! She's such a wonderful author! I've had this on my shelf for a while, I've never really got to it....thanks for the review, it's motivated me to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts