Ruined: A Ghost Story


Author: Paula Morris
Title: Ruined: A Ghost Story1
Number of Pages: 304
Publication Date: 2009
Genre: YA/Mystery & Thriller
Synopsis: "Rebecca couldn't feel more out of place in New Orleans, where she comes to spend the year while her dad is traveling. She's staying in a creepy old house with her aunt. And at the snooty prep school, the filthy-rich girls treat Rebecca like she's invisible. Only gorgeous, unavailable Anton Grey seems to give Rebecca the time of day, but she wonders if he's got a hidden agenda. Then one night, in Lafayette Cemetery, Rebecca makes a friend. Sweet, mysterious Lisette is eager to talk to Rebecca, and to show her the nooks and crannies of the city. There's just one catch: Lisette is a ghost. A ghost with a deep, dark secret, and a serious score to settle. As Rebecca learns more from her ghost friend -- and as she slowly learns to trust Anton Grey -- she also uncovers startling truths about her own history. Will Rebecca be able to right the wrongs of the past, or has everything been ruined beyond repair?"

So I finally got around to reading Ruined: A Ghost Story. Which has been sitting on my shelf for a few months.
The first two chapters after the epilogue were kind of slow which had me a bit worried about the pace of the book, but it quickly picked up by the third chapter and became hard to put down.
At first I didn't much care for the main character Rebecca because she complained way to much about being forced to spend six months in New Orleans, but as the story got going she became less irritating to me.
I think my favorite part of the book would have to be Lisette and her story; it was her and her story that really drew me in and caught me up in the story.
My least favorite part of the book would have to be how all the rich students at the private school shut out Rebecca just because she was an outsider and the emphasis that was placed on family names and the krewe that their fathers were a part of.
I think the thing that shocked me the most about the book would have to be the end. I was quite surprised by the ending of the book; I would say more, but it would completely give away too much.
Even though I really enjoyed reading this book, once Lisette started her story it was easy to guess why she died and who killed her. It was also easy for me to figure out Rebbeca's story and what her father was hiding from her. Even though I found it easy to figure out, it was still a fantastic read and I look forward to trying another Paula Morris book in the future.

Ruined: A Ghost Story earns 4 out of 5 pineapples.
Orchid
_________________________________________________
1. Ruined: A Ghost Story is part of my personnal book collection.

Comments

  1. The endings are always my most favorite part, and based on your review, I know I've got to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started this a couple of times but it was too slow and I quit. I'll give it another go now knowing it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also felt that Ruined was a big predictable but I am interested in reading more from Morris in the future.
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts