Medina Hill

Author: Trilby Kent
Title: Medina Hill1
Number of Pages: 170
Publication Date: 2009
Genre: Childrens Fiction and Literature
Synopsis: "In the grimy London of 1935, eleven-year-old Dominic Walker has lost his voice. His mother is sick and his father’s unemployed. Rescue comes in the form of his Uncle Roo, who arrives to take him and his young sister, Marlo, to Cornwall. There, in a boarding house populated by eccentric residents, Marlo, who keeps a death grip on her copy of The New Art of Cooking, and Dominic, armed with Incredible Adventures for Boys: Colonel Lawrence and the Revolt in the Desert, find a way of life unlike any they have known. Dominic’s passion for Lawrence of Arabia is tested when he finds himself embroiled in a village uprising against a band of travelers who face expulsion. In defending the vulnerable, Dominic learns what it truly means to have a voice."

Medina Hill has been one of the shortest books I have read this year, standing at only 170 pages. Despite being so very short I found it to be an extremely fascinating read even though the main character was only eleven years old.
I also found the cast to be slightly quirky, yet they added to my enjoyment of the book.
My favorite thing about the book was Dominic's narration and his struggle to find his voice and learn to speak in front of those outside his family again.
One of my favorite things about Medina Hill was the author's description of the places and the characters.
I especially enjoyed reading about Dominic and his little sister and their different troubles; they made the story that much better for that neither of them or any of the other cast of characters were perfect. They all had their own flaws.
I honestly can't think of a single thing that I didn't like about this book. While it is aimed at a younger audience, Medina Hill would be an interesting read for all age groups.
I enjoyed reading Medina Hill so much that I'll probably end up re-reading it at some point.

Medina Hill earns 4 out of 5 pineapples.
Orchid
_________________________________________
1. Medina Hill is part of my personnal book collection.

Comments

Popular Posts