Wish List Wednesday (51)

Chime by Frannie Billingsly, 2011. Published by Dial.
Before Briony's stepmother died, she made sure Briony blamed herself for all the family's hardships. Now Briony has worn her guilt for so long it's become a second skin. She often escapes to the swamp, where she tells stories to the Old Ones, the spirits who haunt the marshes. But only witches can see the Old Ones, and in her village, witches are sentenced to death. Briony lives in fear her secret will be found out, even as she believes she deserves the worst kind of punishment.



Why: I have seen some great reviews on Chime, which has totally got me wanting to read. Other than that, what really drew me to Chime is the first sentence (I read it at B&N) and the cover; they both piqued my interest.

Library Wars: Love & War, volume 1. by Kiiro Yumi, 2008. Published by Viz Media.
In the near future, the federal government creates a committee to rid society of books it deems unsuitable. The libraries vow to protect their collections, and with the help of local governments, form a military group to defend themselves—-the Library Forces! Iku Kasahara has dreamed of joining the Library Defense Force ever since one of its soldiers stepped in to protect her favorite book from being confiscated in a bookstore when she was younger. But now that she’s finally a recruit, she’s finding her dream job to be a bit of a nightmare. Especially since her hard-hearted drill instructor seems to have it out for her!
Why: The title alone was enough to catch my eye, then once I read the synopsis I knew that it would make my list of books I want.

Comments

  1. Bloomsbury sent me Chime this week, it looks pretty amazing!

    ComaCalm's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading Chime now and it's good so great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look like good choices - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts