A Vintage Reads Review: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You

Where the book is voted on and picked by you the reader. Hope y'all enjoy. Also be sure to vote for next months book HERE. You can learn about Vintage Reads by visiting its page (you can also submit a book to featured by stopping by and filling out my contact form *book cannot not be newer than 2009*).
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, 1) by Ally Carter, 2006. Published by Hyperion. Source: Bought when it first came out.
The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women lives up to its name. Not only does this exclusive boarding school teach advanced language skills and correct deportment; its students also master the arts of tapping phones, hacking into computers, and spying in public places. At school, second-generation Gallagher Girl Cammie Morgan has impeccable credentials: She is fluent in 14 languages and able to kill an assailant in seven different ways. But recently life has dealt Cammie a card that she never anticipated: She has fallen in love with an ordinary boy who knows nothing about her exotic double life. A truly covert romance.
*I might've rambled on for a bit during my review, also there's some gushing too. You have been warned* 

First Sentence:
I suppose a lot of teenage girls feel invisible sometimes, like they just disappear.
The first time I read LYKY was the year that it was released, since that date I have read it at least five times (with this being the fifth). I have actually read up to book 3, but haven't had a chance to buy the 4th one yet. Although I absolutely NEED it...and while I'm at it the fifth book would be nice as well.
What really pulled me
 into I'd Tell You I Love You, But Than I'd Have to Kill You was well Ms Carter meshed the two worlds that Cammie was trying to live in. You had Cammie the Chameleon at school and then you had her trying the whole normal life thing out. I just think that Ally Carter did an excellent job of bringing those two sides of Cammie together to make both an interesting story and character.  
If you could see my shelves, you would quickly notice that I like spy books, but don't care for boarding school type books, which is why this LYKY could have been a hit or miss with me. But unlike most books where the character goes to one of those schools, the Gallagher Academy was more like a really cool school filled with sisters. That might sound Corny, but it actually wasn't. I really enjoyed that there weren't cat fights, which are completely overplayed in YA books.
LYKY also has a nice balance of action (especially at the end of the book), humor (Liz cracked me up for some unknown reason), and just generally a well written and great paced read.

Other than Cammie going a bit boy crazy, I really enjoyed reading about her in LYKY (could be because I too am a bit of a chameleon/pavement artist). I liked how she was both a smart/strong character yet she also had a vulnerable side (over the loss of her father).
   As for her friends Bex and Liz, they are definitely some of the more interesting friend pairings that I have read about. I liked how they each had their strengths and weaknesses; along with how they each used their...talents to help Cammie, yet they also weren't afraid to try and knock some sense into her when she needed it. I'm just going to come out and say it, the only character I DIDN"T like in the book was...Josh. Don't ask me why, because I don't know!

Out of the whole book my favorite scene would have to be when Cammie and company our checking out Josh's back round to make sure he isn't a honeypot. The things they did were both at times gross and hilarious, plus you had to wonder how they didn't get caught (or did they).
 
The one thing I didn't like about LYKY, is something that you'll see me grouch over in a lot of books, is how Cammie went so...brain dead when she fell for Josh. While it's understandable since she has had basically no interactions with boys her age it was frustrating to read about.  
 
Final Verdict: I'd Tell I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You, is a brilliant start to a fascinating series. LYKY is also a refreshingly CLEAN read with no swearing or questionable content, and just a smidge of violence. Perfectible suitable for readers as young as 12.

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Than I'd Have to Kill You earns 5 out of 5 pineapples.
 

Comments

Popular Posts