Joker

Joker by Brian Azzarello & Lee Bermejo, 2008. 128 pages. Published by DC Comics. Source: Library.
An original hardcover graphic novel that tells the story of one very dark night in Gotham City—from the creative team behind the graphic novel LEX LUTHOR: MAN OF STEEL.
The Joker has been mysteriously released from Arkham Asylum, and he's none to happy about what's happened to his Gotham City rackets while he's been "away." What follows is a harrowing night of revenge, murder and manic crime as only The Joker can deliver it, as he brutally takes back his stolen assets from The Penguin, The Riddler, Two-Face, Killer Croc and others.
Brian Azzarello brings to THE JOKER all the visceral intensity and criminal insight that has made his Vertigo graphic novel series 100 BULLETS one of the most critically-acclaimed and award-winning series in all of comics.
Story:
So the this was definitely a change of pace for me, I hadn't actually read what Joker was about when I put it on hold at my library, while different I found it to be an enjoyable read. This is going to be really short, I just cannot think of much to say about Joker.

Sadly, I cannot remember the name of the character that was narrating the story, but I definitely enjoyed watching his opinion of the Joker slowly change throughout the story from considering being in with Joker as the place to be, to the realization that he was truly mad and that being part of Joker's crew would only lead to his downfall.  This was what actually kept me reading since I was seriously bummed about the lack of Batman.

What I liked most about Joker was the glimpse into how this crazed man thinks and views the things around him. All I can say is that he is definitely one messed up cookie, but interesting for that nonetheless.
    My least favorite thing about Joker would have to be that Batman was hardly in it at all. Sure I know that it was supposed to be about the Joker, but couldn't they have had Batman there just a bit more. Other than that one minor complaint, I really did enjoy reading this graphic novel.

Character(s):
This is different, I'm doing an about the character for a villain; this should be fun.
 The Joker, what can one really say about him that everyone doesn't already know. Well I'll try. The one thing I found to be the most fascinating thing about Joker was how he acted after he was released from Arkham (yep, they actually let him out). It was kinda interesting to see they way he reacted when he found out that his territory had been diminished during his incarceration.

Artwork:
I have very mixed feeling over the art in Joker because I liked it, and then again I didn't. See, very mixed feelings.
What I did like about it was that it captured the dirty, gritty feel that was the underbelly of Gotham. The whole feel visually of Joker was about how I imagined Gotham to look like, especially the worst of the crime ridden parts.
So while I did like the way it was done and thought that visually it worked, it was at times maybe just a bit to grunge for my taste.
Final Verdict: Joker a gritty look at one of Batman's greatest foes.

Joker earns 4 out of 5 pineapples.  

Comments

Popular Posts