Trash

Trash by Andy Mulligan, 2010; 224 pages. Published by David Fickling Books. Source: Borrowed from library.
Raphael is a dumpsite boy. He spends his days wading through mountains of steaming trash, sifting it, sorting it, breathing it, sleeping next to it. Then one unlucky-lucky day, Raphael's world turns upside down. A small leather bag falls into his hands. It's a bag of clues. It's a bag of hope. It's a bag that will change everything. Soon Raphael and his friends Gardo and Rat are running for their lives. Wanted by the police, it takes all their quick-thinking, fast-talking to stay ahead. As the net tightens, they uncover a dead man's mission to put right a terrible wrong. And now it's three street-boys against the world...
First Sentence:
My name is Raphael Fernandez and I am a dumpsite boy.
Trash is another book that I had been thinking of reading since I first heard about it. So when I was perusing the libraries new book section I decided that I'd give it a shot, and it was more enjoyable then at first I thought it was going to be.

I think the biggest surprise for me about this book would have to be how much I enjoyed reading about the struggles of Raphael, Gardo, Rat. I found them to be some of the more interesting characters that I've read about in awhile and I loved how they each brought a little something to the table.

One of the things that made Trash so good was how the writing just completely pulled you in, so much so that you practically felt like you were there with the characters as they strove to survive in a harsh landscape. Its definitely a book about friendship and trust between those who call each other friend, but done in a very real and believable way.

One thing that really draws me into a book is when the characters have a strong since of camaraderie, and Trash had more then enough to keep me interested in what was going to happen to the characters.
What I really liked best about Trash would have to be how the three boys stuck with each other through thick and thin; and how they overcame the odds to solve the mystery that they had unwittenly gotten involved in.

While I really enjoyed this book, I do have one thing that really annoyed me (and it's kind of weird). I think a little explanation is required to fully understand what I didn't like, so pretty much each chapter was told either by Raphael, Gardo, Rat with some done by a couple of other key characters in the story. So my problem was that I didn't like how tha chapters would start with something like, "Gardo again".  I wish that instead of using that way to show who was talking the author had titled the chapters by who was narriating, but that's just my opinion.

Final Verdict: Trash while being a book about trust nad friendship is also much more than that, it has a cast of unforgettable characters that'll have you turning the pages to see if they can unravel the mystery presented to them and surivive their journey. In my opinion, a must read, but as usual I leave the choice up to you.

Trash earns 4 out of 5 pineapples.

Comments

  1. Oh, that is a weird way to tell which character is narating.
    great review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really original and interesting. I enjoyed reading your thoughts about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts