ARC Review: She's So Dead to Us

She's So Dead to Us by Kieran Scott, 2010; 288 pages. Published by Simon and Shuster Books for Young Readers. Source: Traded.
When having money is all that matters, what happens when you lose it all?

Perfect, picturesque Orchard Hill. It was the last thing Ally Ryan saw in the rear-view mirror as her mother drove them out of town and away from the shame of the scandal her father caused when his hedge fund went south and practically bankrupted all their friends -- friends that liked having trust funds and new cars, and that didn't like constant reminders that they had been swindled. So it was adios, Orchard Hill. Thanks for nothing.
So I pretty much finished She's So Dead to Us in one day. It was an okay read, but I didn't love it. It's also the third book by this author that I have tried and I'm starting to think that maybe her writing isn't for me.

My biggest problem with She's So Dead to Us would have to be how shallow all the cresties were and how they acted all...entitled. I just really don't care for books like that, I find them to be overly cliché; along with the overuse of profanity by the male characters.

The only character that had any redeeming qualities was the MC Ally. I thought she was a fairly interesting character and I liked how she finally started sticking up for herself. I was a bit worried that she would be some spineless girl would do and take anything just to be back within the good graces of her former friends. I was definitely glad when she decided that she was longer going to let the cresties push her around.

The thing that kept me reading She's So Dead to Us was the mystery aspect of what happened to Ally's dad, and if he was going to go back and make amends for the mistakes that he made and damage that he caused everyone.
While it kept me reading, it just wasn't enough to sell me on the book because on a whole I found the characters to shallow for me to truly enjoy it.

What I liked best about She's So Dead to Us would have to be how Ally was an athlete. For me it made her more likeable, especially since most books with rich kids (or formerly rich kids) the characters seem more interested in...shopping and such things like that.

Least favorite, that would have to be the chapters told from Jake's POV. I just didn't like him or his family (especially his social climbing mom). I felt like the author had the character swearing too much just so readers could tell that yes this is a male character. His chapters just made him seem to cliché.
I also didn't like the cliff-hanger ending because it just left things to wide open, which means that you would have to read book two for the rest of the story.

Final Verdict: While She's So Dead to Us is an interesting read, it’s just a bit too cliché and shallow for my taste. But I encourage you to give it a try, who knows it might just be something you'll like.

She's So Dead to Us earns 3 out of 5 pineapples.

Comments

  1. Hm... from the blurb this book sounded pretty cliche. Thanks for being honest about your opinion! I would probably think the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I read a synopsis and make a judgement...I can't help it. I just had a feeling that this book would be like you said and I'm not sure I can believe every single person in someone's world can be like that...although I'm sure some people would tell me they certainly can be exactly like that.

    Even though this book wasn't for you, I still liked reading what you thought.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts