Sabriel

Author: Garth Nix
Title: Sabriel1
Series: The Old Kingdom (book 1)
Publication Date: 1995
Number of Pages: 491
Genre: Fantasy
Synopsis: "Since childhood, Sabriel has lived outside the walls of the Old Kingdom, away from the power of Free Magic and the Dead. With her father missing, Sabriel must cross into that world to find him. There she confronts an evil that threatens much more than her life."

Out of the eight books by Garth Nix that I have read, Sabriel being the eighth, I would rank is my second favorite by him. The reason it's ranked so high is because I loved how on one side of the wall you had The Old Kingdom were magic prevails and then on the other side you had Ancelstierre which has 20th century technology. Plus Sabriel was one of the best leading female characters in a fantasy book, other then Menolly from Harper Hall trilogy, that I've read about in a while. She didn't spend to all her time whining about the circumstances that she found herself in.
The other thing I really liked about this book have to be how she was a necromancer, but not in the usual way being that she bound and sent revenants back to their eternal rest. Rather than raising them.
For my favorite part of the book I'm torn between the final battle against Kerrigor, which was amazing; when Sabriel found her father; and when she first found Touchstone who ended up as her traveling companion, mainly because when they first met was kind of funny.
Least favorite part of the book would have to be... Oh, wait, I don't have anything to complain about for the book Sabriel.
I would definitely say that Sabriel is a fantasy must read with lots of action and a great lead character. I also look forward to reading the rest of The Old Kingdom series later this year.

Sabriel earns 5 out of 5 pineapples.
______________________________________________
1. Sabriel was borrowed from the library.

Comments

  1. I heard how great this book is, but I don't know if I wanna read it yet...your review might steer me to read it though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review - I read this book years ago & really enjoyed it. It's actually one I've been thinking about reading again. If I remember rightly I loved the whole series so I hope you like the rest of the books too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own Sabriel and for sure need to read it this year.

    Strong female characters + Necromancers are awesome.

    If you enjoy necromancers I suggest the Darkest Powers series by Kelley Armstrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite book of ALL time from my favoourite series of ALL time! I totally agree with your review!
    =D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts