Dragon's Blood

Author: Jane Yolen
Title: Dragon's Blood1
Series: Pit Dragon (book 1)
Publication Date: 1982
Number of Pages: 320
Genre: Fantasy
Synopsis: "Jakkin, a bond boy who works as a Keeper in a dragon nursery on the planet Austar IV, secretly trains a fighting pit dragon of his own in hopes of winning his freedom."

I'm sensing a theme this week. With this being my third review this week where the book has had the word dragon in the title.
The Pit Dragon trilogy was and is still one of my all time favorite series. It's also another series that I need to get around to buying my own copy.
Back to business, Dragon's Blood is the first book in the Pit Dragon trilogy, which now has a fourth book after many, many years.
One thing you should understand about the Pit dragon series would have to be that unlike say the Anne McCaffrey's Pern books, Austar IV is were the earth's convicts are sent as punishment. Years later it's now a functioning society with its own rules and caste system, plus there're dragons that they train to fight in the pits and earn there way out of bond to become free.
I loved the characters in Dragon's Blood from Jakkin, Akki, and I even liked Master Sarkkhan who was mentioned more then he was actually in the book, but my absolute favorite character in the book would have to be Jakkin's Red Heart's Blood. I know it's weird to like the dragon best, but it was funny and smart.
My favorite part of the book would probably have to be the first time that Jakkin took Heart's Blood to the Pits. I liked that part best because you saw how closely linked the two of them are too each other and because of what happened after the fight.
Surprisingly enough Dragon's Blood hasn't lost any of its appeal for me even after the years since the last time that I have read it. Dragon's Blood is a fantastic fantasy read that will entertain just about any fantasy book lover.

Dragon's Blood earns 5 out of 5 pineapples.
____________________________________________
1. Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen was borrowed from the library. 

Comments

  1. Good morning from the Saturday Network. Did you know that Jane Yolen has a new one out in this series? I just added Heart's Blood to my TBR stack. I think I will have to read the first three again first. I have read a lot of books in the years since the first three came out.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts