Dragonsinger

Author: Anne McCaffrey
Title: Dragonsinger1
Series: Harper Hall (book 1)
Publication Date: 1977
Number of Pages: 264
Genre: Fantasy
Synopsis: "In the world of Pern, Harpers are regarded to be more powerful than kings, for the music they play can literally control the minds of others. For young Menolly, her dreams of becoming a Harper have nothing to do with power, but rather her love of music. Now she is finally living out her musical dreams as an apprentice Harper, but it's turning out to be more challenging than she thought."

I feel I should warn you that Dragonsinger is the second book in the Harper Hall trilogy. The only reason I read and am reviewing it first is that Dragonsong hasn't come in yet.

I absolutely loved reading Anne McCaffrey's Harper Hall series when I stumbled upon it a few years back at a different library and have been looking for a chance to re-read the whole series.
The thing that I loved most about Dragonsinger would have to be that the main character has such a strong personality and a genuine love for what she's good at. Plus the writing had me completely taken in from the very first page...again.
Dragonsinger starts off with Menolly's arrival at Harper Hall with her nine fire lizards and begins her journey from daughter of a Lord Sea Holder to apprentice at Harper Hall.
My favorite part of the book would have to be when Menolly, after being teased one to many times by Pona, the snobby granddaughter of a lord holder, calls her out on insult and tries to cut the girls hair with her knife. The only reason she's picked on by the other girls is because she is an apprentice and has earned the right to be there, while they are paying and will never be Journeymen or Masters at their craft, along with the fact that she doesn't act all that feminine.
Least favorite part would have to be that my memories kind of fuzzy on what exactly went on in the first book. Oh well, I'll eventually get to read it.
Here is my favorite chapter opener from Dragonsinger:
“Harper, tell me of the road
That leads beyond this Hold,
That wends its way beyond the hill…
Does it go further on until
It ends in sunset gold?”
Dragonsinger is by far one of my most loved fantasy books by one of my favorite authors.


Dragonsinger earns 5 out of 5 pineapples.
______________________________________________
1. Dragonsinger was borrowed from the library.
 

Comments

  1. Beautiful! I so want to read this series again. But I look at my toppling TBR pile and resist the temptation (at least for the moment.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts