The Hollow Hills

Author: Mary Stewart
Title: The Hollow Hills1
Series: Merlin (book 2)
Number of Pages: 446
Publication Date: 1973
Genre: Fantasy
Synopsis: "Keeping watch over the young Arthur Pendragon, the prince and prophet Merlin Ambrosius is haunted by dreams of the magical sword Caliburn, which has been hidden for centuries. When Uther Pendragon is killed in battle, the time of destiny is at hand, and Arthur must claim the fabled sword to become the true High King of Britain."

The Hollow Hills covers ground in the Arthurian legend that I am closer acquainted with. Such as Arthur's youth, his rise to power, and the finding of the legendary sword Excalibur or in this series Caliburn.

One of the good things about this book would have to be that even though it’s a fantasy novel, the treks between locations isn't drawn out so that it takes up most of the story.
Another thing I liked was how the author managed to keep the story moving without the story getting bogged down or losing any of the lore surrounding Merlin and Arthur.
As I said in my review of The Crystal Cave, I have found myself liking Merlin's character much more in Mary Stewart's series, then in any previous books.
My favorite part of the book would have to be when Merlin and Arthur met for the first time in Arthur's memory. I liked because they were both so different, yet they had some similar traits.
Least favorite part of the book would have to be when Merlin had to go and see Uther who was ailing. It was the only really dull part of the book.
All in all The Hollow Hills was an excellent follow up to The Crystal Cave; although I plan on taking a short break from this series before reading the third book.


The Hollow Hills earns 5 out of 5 pineapples.

__________________________________________
1. The Hollow Hills was borrowed from the library.

Comments

  1. Love the cover art, and sounds like an interesting read on Merlin that I'd really like to get into sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love King Arthur and Merlin stuff. This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts