Wish Volume 1

  1. Wish 1 by CLAMP, 1996; 200 pages. Published by Tokyopop. Source: Borrowed from Library.
When Shuichiro rescues an angel he is granted a single wish. The problem? Shuichiro can’t think of any wishes that he couldn’t grant himself. Refusing to leave Shuichiro without granting a wish Kohaku, the angel, moves in with the young doctor to help out around the house and wait for a chance to return the favor. Of course, angels aren’t the only supernatural beings wandering the Earth. Soon, demons and archangels alike are stopping by Shuichiro’s house, making things difficult for his angelic roommate.

In the beginning of Wish I liked it, the story was good and really interesting, but the last few pages were a bit predictable and kind of weird.

Story: The story in itself was pretty simple and really easy to guess how it was going to play out, but entertaining none the less.

While I had a pretty good idea on what had happen to Kohaku's mentor, there were a few times that I was left wondering if maybe I had gotten it all wrong, but I think the creators did an excellant job of telling the characters stories.

Wish had some action, but not all that much when you look at the full scope of the book. Personally, I think the if they had added a little more action scenes and gotten rid of a few scenes where Kohaku was being completely useless, as she tried to aid Shuichiro is his daily duties, it would have been a much more enjoyable read.

Character(s): Part of the reason I had trouble getting into this manga would have to be Kohaku, the angel who came to earth in search of her missing mentor, frankly, she annoyed me. I don't really enjoy books were the main character is such a...clueless ditz. It makes it extremely hard for me to get into the story and feel anything other than annoyance with the MC.

While I didn't much care for Kohaku, I did kind of enjoy reading about Shuichiro. I found it to be quite interesting how he wasn't interested (even the slightest bit) in having any of his wishes granted and that he wanted to earn what he got by working hard.

Artwork: Sometimes I feel bad when I don't care for the artwork, especially since I could not have done better myself (I can't even really draw a stickman). That said, the artwork in Wish was definitely not one of my favorites that I have seen recently in the mangas that I've read. I think that had Wish been written a few years ago rather then in the mid 90s I would've liked the art better, but the hair and the clothes on the characters was just too much with the big hair and belly button high pants waists. *shudders just remembering the pictures from Wish*

Final Verdict: Wish was an interesting story, but the artwork just wasn't for me. While this is my thought on it I encourage you to try the series out for yourself if you have the chance.

Wish earns 2 1/2 pineapples.

Comments

Popular Posts