Chobits Omnibus Book 1 (volumes 1-4)

Chobits Omnibus Book 1 (volumes 1-4) by Clamp, 2010. 720 pages. Source: Borrowed from library.
Some people buy their personal computers based on style... and in near-future Japan, the hottest style for your "persocom" is shaped like an attractive android! Poor student Hideki, fresh off the farm and trying to get into a Tokyo university, has neither money nor a girlfriend - then finds a persocom seemingly discarded in an alley. Taking the cute robot home and activating it, Hideki finds her affectionate, but amnesiac, able only to say the word "Chi" - and so he names her.
But who is this strange new persocom in his life? Instead of being his digital assistant, Hideki finds himself having to teach Chi how to get along in the everyday world, even while he and his friends try to solve the mystery of her origins. Is she one of the urban-legendary Chobits - persocoms built to have the riskiest functions of all: real emotions, and free will?
On a whole, I didn't care for Chobits and I barely managed to finish reading it. It wasn't that the story wasn't interesting, it was just too weird for my taste (which is saying something because usually I'm like the weirder the better).


While I didn't really enjoy this manga, what kept me reading till the end was that it had a most interesting concept. I thought that the story behind the persocoms and how they were disrupting the normal interactions between people was quite fascinating, especially when you can relate it to how people (including myself) tend to spend more of our time communicating through the internet and texting. It was just very interesting to read about.

On a whole, the artwork wasn't too bad. Although it did seem that sometimes there was just too much going on in the limited space for a couple of the panels, but other than that the art was really nice.

So what I really didn't like about Chobits was that there seemed to be a little too much swearing. Characters, I didn't really like any of them, and it's been so many books since I read it that I can't remember why I didn't care for them, but I didn't.

Final Verdict: Chobits was definitely a...unique read. Maybe not my cup 'o tea, but definitely worth trying if you think you might enjoy it.

Comments

  1. Sounds good..but I do dislike mangas with excessive cussing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chobits is one of my favorite manga/anime series. <3 Hideki wa hentai!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not into the mega swearing on any reading material so probably not for me. But glad you found something you liked about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was sort of planning to read it until I got to the part about lots of swearing. That's too bad, it sounded kind of interesting. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've loved Chobits since I started getting into manga...which was like...6 or 7 years ago. Holy cow! Chi is the most adorable thing. Sorry you weren't that into it, though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts