ARC Review: Angelfire

Angelfire ARC (Angelfire, 1) by Courtney Allison Moulton, Feb 15, 2011. Pages: 464. Publisher: Harper Collins/ Katherine Tegen Books. Source: Contest Win.
When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.
A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.
I know the year has only just begun, but Angelfire has to be one of my favorite reads so far this year. Courtney Allison Moulton's writing just completely blew me away, and the story was absolutely captivating.
I confess, I have a supreme love for books that have angels in them. So far I haven't come across one that I didn't love, and Angelfire was no exception to that list.

I was a smidge worried when the first chapter was kind of slow, but by the second chapter I was so absorbed that I didn't want to have to put it down.

I really liked how I didn't have to wait till the last fifty or so pages for the actual storyline to come into play. Because frankly I get a little bored when it takes over half a book for the premise of a book to come into play, but Angelfire gets right down to the bones of the story, and then there's my favorite part... What did you really think I was going to tell you? I'll just say that I went back and re-read that part just to make sure I read it right. 

One of the things that made Angelfire such a great read was Ellie, the main character. I loved how she was such a strong female character, which made for a really refreshing YA read (so glad to have found an action book with a female character that kicks-butt). I also loved how sarcastic she was.

I loved reading about the bond between Ellie and Will; it gave both characters more depth with how easily they seemed to be able to read each other.  

So my favorite scene in Angelfire happens to be one that I CANNOT tell you about because it would giveaway entirely too much (plot twist!), but I will say that scene just completely blew my mind.
My least favorite thing about Angelfire would have to be that I don't own a finished copy yet and it doesn't come out till the 15th. :(

Final Verdict: Angelfire is a great action packed debut with thrilling writing.
Bonus, it has minimal swearing and will be released in a matter of days. I'll also be posting a content rating on Rating Reads later this week.

Angelfire earns 5 out 5 pineapples.

Sorry for such a long post, but I absolutely loved this book and couldn't express that in a shorter post. ^_^

Comments

  1. Great review! I am going to check out some of your others too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a good review! You do a great job at showing your enthusiasm for the book. And there's nothing wrong with long reviews. I like those better than the short ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's an enthusiastic review. I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the heads up on the slow beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5 out 5? I'm in! I love a good action book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, I agree with everything you stated! Girl, get your butt on it and start Wings like...NOW! I promise you'll love it ten times more! :)

    And definitely let me know when you start it...so I can squeee and swoon all over with you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts