Boys Over Flowers Volume 1

Boys Over Flowers (Boys Over Flowers, volume 1) by Yoko Kamio, 1992. 208 pages. Source: Borrowed from library. 

This classic shojo is featured in a 51-episode anime series. Because she stood up to the F4 gang, Tsukushi is now a celebrity. But not everyone has joined her fan club. A boy playing a violin is rude to her. A trio of girls tricks her at a party. They kidnap and take her to Tsukasa's mansion, where she and her sometimes enemy have a fight and he spreads cruel gossip about her around the school. Tsukushi is certainly resourceful, but how will she handle the challenge?

I just start off by saying that Boys Over Flowers was an okay manga, but definitely not one of the better ones I have read. It reminded me a lot of Ouran High, just with not as likable characters.

I really enjoyed the actual story and found the main character to be one of the more interesting protagonists that I've read about in awhile. 
What I really didn't like about Boys Over Flowers were the F4, they just gave me the creeps, especially their hair which was horrifically bad 90s hair. Frankly it gave me shudders just seeing it.
While I didn't much care for the artwork of the male characters, I really enjoyed reading about the protagonist, Tsukushi, I especially liked her when she stopped trying to just sail through her school year as unnoticed as possible and finally starting sticking up for herself and others who were being bullied by the F4. 
In the end what I really liked best about Boys Over Flowers was how brutally honest the story was, from the way that the different cliques at the school reacted to someone standing up to the F4. You had those who secretly supporting her (not very affective in changing things); those who made things worse by going at of their way to humiliate her further by spreading nasty rumors (some which were very shocking).

I know this is a really short review, but Boys Over Flowers was so very short. 

Boys Over Flowers earns 3 and 1/2 pineapples.

Comments

  1. Horrible hair is creepy! And I'm good with the concise review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts