ARC Review: Clockwork Prince

Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, 2) by Cassandra Clare, 2011. 497 pages. Published by Margaret K. McElderry Books. Source: Publisher (requested).
In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends.
With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister's war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move and that one of their own has betrayed them.
Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will; the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?
As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.
First Sentence:

The fog was thick, muffling sound and sight.


I had heard from other bloggers that Clockwork Prince was doozy, and made quite a few people cry. Now, while I may not have cried or teared up while reading it, it did leave me feeling more emotion then most books because I absolutely love the three main characters and want them all to be happy.

Clockwork Prince picks up pretty much where Clockwork Angel left off, which is a good thing. I liked how the story just kinda flowed from the first book to the second without any time huge gaps.
I think one of the most interesting aspects to the plot of book two would have to be how there is more to the story of the Magister's hatred of the Shadowhunters and how complex, as well as how long he's been planning, the destruction of the Clave. I also thought it was interesting to see the ripple effect that ensued when Will, Jem, and Tessa found out how far reaching the plan and those involved in it reached.

Honestly, I did not think that I could love Clockwork Prince more than I loved Clockwork Angel, but it turns out that I was wrong because I could not, did not want to put it down for nothing. And now I am on pins-and-needles waiting to see how the story will conclude in Clockwork Princess, especially since the truth of Tessa's origins have yet to be revealed and need to know her history. Like now.

Ah, Will, his story was the most captivating in the second book of the Infernal Devices. While I was not surprised at the revelation concerning the run in with a demon he had in his past, I did think that Ms. Clare did a fantastic job with how it was handled. By the time the book was over and done with, I felt quite badly for him and the way things played for him.
Jem, I cannot help but like him. I think he is one of the nicest characters, and his story is one of my favorites. Apparently, even I sometimes like the character with a tragic past. If you take away his past and what happened to him, what makes Jem such a good character is his personality and the way him and Will play off of each other.
Tessa, managed to surprise me yet again in Clockwork Prince. While I did not enjoying how she waffled between her affection for both Will and Jem, I liked how-at least as of how the book ended-she was sticking with her decision and trying, even if choosing between them meant hurting both herself and one of the guys. I also thought that she acquitted herself quite nicely in the fighting department and the search for answers.

My favorite thing about Clockwork Prince-easily-would have to be the characters. I am just stunned by the characters in CP, they are so vibrant and their back stories are some of the most intriguing. She did a great job bringing Victorian England to life, and with the added in mystery concerning the various characters in Clockwork Prince made this an absolutely impossible book to put down. There are just too many good things to say about this book.
      While I absolutely loved this book, I do have just one negative thing to say about Clockwork Prince...why, oh why, did there have to be a love triangle. I am generally not a fan of love triangles in books-mostly I find them silly-but Ms. Clare created two of her best male characters and leading lady, and I just want them each to find happiness, but that is going to be absolutely impossible with the way things are shaping up. While I may have been disappointed in the triangle, I do think that Ms. Clare did an excellent job and absolutely made me both happy and sad for those involved int he triangle.

Content (most likely WILL contain spoilers; highlight to see):
While there is some swearing in Clockwork Prince, it is not that bad...or at least not as bad as some books.
There are a few passionate scenes of kissing between Tessa and Will, and Tessa and Jem that very nearly go too far.

Final Verdict: Clockwork Prince was a brilliantly happy and bittersweet read. The Poor characters, I hurt for them so.

Clockwork Prince earns 5 out of 5 pineapples.


The Infernal Devices:
Clockwork Angel
Clockwork Prince
Clockwork Princess

Comments

  1. I'm in the middle of this one now and liking it so far. I have to agree with you though...I'm not a fan of how Tessa's been going back and forth between Will and Jem. The rest of the book is pretty good though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so hesitant to read this one because I really don't like love triangles...but it sounds like it might be worth reading just for the characters alone!

    Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts