Blogoversary: Guest Post with Lesley of Young Adult Books Reviewed

Today I have the lovely Lesley of Young Adult Books Reviewed, talking about her top five horror/halloween books. Looks like some awesome books made the list.




Halloween is an epic holiday. Though it is originated from Samhain, a celtic tradition of celebrating the final day of harvest, Halloween has morphed itself into a tradition unlike any other.


For those of you who are staying in on Halloween night, my top 5 favorite horror/Halloween books to get you through the night.

- House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski: a story about a family that moves into a house and suddenly begins to grow inside, but not out. Thousands of miles of hallways and stairs, they investigate and find there is something out there, watching them.
One of the scariest books I've ever read. I had to sleep with the light on!


- The Devouring by Simon Holt: a horror buff unleashes a monster that possesses her little brother.
A great YA read, and very creepy.

- The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson: the best scary ghost story.
It is the basis for the movie "The Haunting," which is a pretty cool movie!

- The Lake by John Peyton Cooke: the lake in the small town has always been creepy, but suddenly it is killing people!
It's so cheesy, but so fun. It takes all 80's horror movies and makes an awesome book.

- The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker: This is the novella that spawned the infamous "HellRaiser" movies.
It is not for the faint of heart, it gets pretty gruesome. But I found it was a creepy, and haunting story.


I love everything Halloween. But without the scary reads, it just wouldn't be the same. These are five of my favorite, but I'm sure I will find more for next year.


What do you guys think? Have you read any of these? What did you think?


What are some of your favorite horror reads? I'd love to hear some recommendations!

Awesome list, I've only read one of them (The Devouring), but I did see the movie The Haunting (I had no idea it was based upon a book).
I agree The devouring is one fantastically creepy read, I especially enjoyed reading it late in the night.

Thanks Lesley for stopping by and sharing some wonderful Halloween books (I'll definitely be looking into all titles. Hopefully before Halloween.). ^_^

Comments

  1. Fun interview :D
    House of Leave has been on my wish list for some time now, gotta read that one!

    And anything by Shirley Jackson rocks - We Have Always Lived in the Castle is another good one by her ~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts