In My Mailbox (64)

In My Mailbox was started by Kristi of The Story Siren and inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie. Sadly the only books I order are those that are hard to find. The following books are from the library and bookstores.

Contest:
I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, 1) by Pittacus Lore, 2010.

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

A huge thanks goes out to Alyssa, Jake, and Gregory of Teens Read and Write (I won I Am Number Four from them)! This book sounds like it’s made of awesome and will in all likelihood find its way to the top(ish) of my TBR pile.

Library:
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, 1959.
The four visitors at Hill House-- some there for knowledge, others for adventure-- are unaware that the old mansion will soon choose one of them to make its own.


I’d like to thank Lesley (Young Adult Books Reviewed) for mentioning that the movie The Haunting was based on a book. It sounds awesome and I cannot wait to read (along with Pet Cematary by Stephen King for Halloween).

Punch! VOL 1 by Rie Takada, 2005

Though Elle wants nothing to do with fighting, her grandfather has different ideas and betrothes her to an up-and-coming boxer from his own gym. She hates the idea and doesn't want to marry him. One day she meets a handsome street brawler who intrigues her, but her jealous fianc - finds out and goes after the guy! What will happen when a trained boxer goes a couple rounds ...

I’ve been toying with getting Punch! From my library for the past two weeks or so, and finally decided to just check it out and see if it’s any good. It sounds interesting, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it ends up being good.

Fruits Basket, VOL 4 by Natsuki Takaya, 2004.
When the infamous Akito makes an in-class appearance at the start of the school year, the Sohma family worries that his arrival will be an uncensored exercise of show-and-tell about Yuki's past. Meanwhile, when Ayame vows to rekindle his brothers' lost friendship, he begins to realize that you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family -- especially when they ...
I very nearly squealed with joy when I found out that my library had recently acquired volume four of Fruits Basket, which I absolutely love, and so I promptly put my name on the list and for once didn’t have long to wait. Can’t wait to read it…and the rest of the series.

Bought:
Something Rotten (A Horatio Wilkes Mystery, 1) by Alan Gratz, 2007.
Denmark, Tennessee, stinks. The smell hits Horatio Wilkes the moment he pulls into town to visit his best friend, Hamilton Prince. And it's not just the paper plant and the polluted river that's stinking up Denmark: Hamilton's father has been poisoned and the killer is still at large. Why? Because nobody believes that Rex Prince was murdered.
Something Rotten is an unbelievably awesome book, if you haven’t read it I highly suggest you do (I’ll be re-reading it  as soon as I shrink my TBR pile).

Something Wicked (A Horatio Wilkes Mystery, 2) by Alan Gratz, 2008.
The Scottish Highland Festival in Tennessee is all set to begin, but there's one problem: Duncan MacRae, founder of the games, has just been murdered. The police arrested Malcolm, Duncan's son, but is he really the killer? Horatio Wilkes, for one, has doubts.
I could not believe my luck when I found Something Wicked at the bookstore, so as you can guess I bought it. I loved the first Horatio Wilkes Mystery and have been looking everywhere for the sequel. *so very excited*

Used Bookstore:
Dread Locks (Darkfusion, 1) by Neal Shusterman, 2005.
Fifteen-year-old Parker Baer is bored with his entire perfect life. But when Parker finds Tara, a strange but beautiful girl sleeping in his bed, his life turns upside down. Exotic-looking, with long, glimmering spirals of golden hair that seem almost alive and eyes that are always hidden behind sunglasses, Tara lives by herself in a house full of statues. Parker watches, ...
I actually almost didn’t see Dread Locks when I was at the Used Bookstore, but I was helping Dahlia look for something when I came across this book. I’m definitely looking forward to reading this one, especially since I’ve really enjoyed all his other (two) books that I have read (cost $2.50).

Nightmare by Joan Lowery Nixon, 2003.
Emily has never fit in her overachieving family. Instead of getting straight As, she sits in the back row and hides behind her hair. As a result, her parents have enrolled her at Camp Excel--an academic camp for underachievers--for the summer. Emily doesn't want to go, and not just because she feels it isn't necessary. She's been plagued by a recurring nightmare since she ...
I FOUND a copy of Nightmare, oh my gosh! You would not believe how excited I am about finding this book, plus it only cost me about $2.

Random Buzzers:
Three Black Swans ARC by Caroline B. Cooney, 2010.
Missy and her cousin Claire are best friends who finish each other’s sentences and practically read each other’s minds. It’s an eerie connection—so eerie that Missy has questions she wants to put to her parents. But she’s afraid to ask. So when Missy hears an ... 
I have failed as a fan of Caroline B. Cooney, because I had no idea that she had a new book out until I was on Random Buzzers and checking out their store planning on what to buy as soon as I had enough Buzz Bucks. So her latest seemed like the most logical choice (I’ve already read a few pages and so far it rocks).

Well that I do believe is it for me this week bookwise. Hope y'all had a fantastic week in books too.

Comments

  1. I have always wanted to read The Haunting of Hill House , but I never had the courage!
    Here's what I got In My Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books...a lot I havent heard of, which means I now have to go look them up :) I love the look of your blog as well, very pretty! My IMM is here: http://nikkibrandyberry.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am number four sounds so good to me! I can't wait to read it! I haven't read the haunting at hill house, but the movie terrified me! LOL
    The Delusional Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Haunting of Hill House is one I've always meant to read! Can't wait to see what you think of it!

    My IMM vlog

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great mailbox! I Am Number 4 is on my wishlist, and I can't believe I haven't yet read "The Haunting of Hill House", one of the greatest creepy books ever!

    Enjoy the reads!

    Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts