The Ruby in the Smoke

Author: Philip Pullman
Title: The Ruby in the Smoke1
Series: Sally Lockhart (book 1)
Number of Pages: 256
Publication Date: 1985
Genre: Mystery
Synopsis: "In search of clues to the mystery of her father's death, 16-year-old Sally Lockhart ventures into the shadowy underworld of Victorian London. Pursued by villains at every turn, the intrepid Sally finally uncovers two dark mysteries--and realizes that she herself is the key to both."

The Ruby in the Smoke is definitely on eof my all time favorite mysteries to read. I was lucky enough to find a copy of this book on one of my trips to the used bookstore a while back. To bad the cover for my copy is so... dippy.
One of the reasons I liked this book so much was that the main charcter Sally was an independent, strong female character. Which is unusual given that the book is set in the late 1800s. Plus the story and writing are amazing. Along with the whole cast of characters.
I liked everything about the book, from the unexpected plot twist about her past. To how everything was tied up in the book, yet there was still plenty of room for the the characters to continue their stories in furture books.
My favorite part of the book would have to have been the twist at the end of the book and the revelation about Sally's past. Favorite character(s) Sally and Jim.
All in all a fantastic read that is a must read by all mystery lovers by an amazing author2.

The Ruby in the Smoke earns 5 out of 5 pineapples.
Orchid
_________________________________________________________________________________
1. The Ruby in the Smoke is part of my personal collection of books.
2. Philip Pullman just so happens to be one of my all time favorite authors.

Comments

  1. I absolutely LOVE this series! I'm glad you enjoyed it too. I would definitely recommend reading the rest of the series, as well as the companion book The Tin Princess. They're all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. It's so weird to see you raving about this book when I didn't really like it at all. I thought the opium thing was too weird.
    Glad you liked it, though. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, you find these great oldies that I've never heard of. You're a gem of good book info. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would this one be interesting for a guy? I like the Montmorency was a little slow but I liked it. How does this compare?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jake: Yeah, I think it could be an interesting read for a guy. Besides the character Jim was pretty funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this book - picked it up at a massive library book sale a while back. Thanks for reminding me :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts