The Key to the Golden Firebird

Author: Maureen Johnson
Title: The Key to the Golden Firebird1
Number of Pages: 304
Publication Date: 2004
Genre: Teen Fiction
Synopsis: "Mayzie is the brainy middle sister, Brooks is the beautiful but conflicted oldest, and Palmer's the quirky baby of the family. In spite of their differences, the Gold sisters have always been close. When their father dies, everything begins to fall apart. Level–headed May is left to fend for herself (and somehow learn to drive), while her two sisters struggle with their own demons. But the girls learn that while there are a lot of rules for the road, there are no rules when it comes to the heart. Together, they discover the key to moving on – and it's the key to their father's Pontiac Firebird."

The Key to the Golden Firebird has actually been sitting on my bookshelf for a couple of years and I just now decided that it was time to read it. Why did I choose to start it now? Well, that would be because I traded it to another blogger in exchange for two books that I wanted.
It was an okay book, but not one that I am terribly upset about giving away.
The reason I wasn't drawn to this book is because its one of those sad, moving on after a death books. And frankly I had my fill of those a few years back and don't enjoy reading them anymore. Now that I have said that I'll get on with my review.
To me the saddest part of the whole book was near the end when May was talking to Pete about her father, not when he actually died.
My favorite part of the book is also the funniest part. I'd tell you why it was my favorite, but then I'd definitely give something away.
My two favorite characters were May and Palmer; May because it was interesting to read about her as she learned to assert herself and stop picking up the slack for her sister. I liked Palmer mainly because she was so quite and she seemed to notice everything that went on and because she was a pitcher. Brooks on the other hand I didn't like at all.
Even though The Key to the Golden Firebird was better than I thought it would be, I don't plan on re-reading this one. It's just too sad for my taste.

The Key to the Golden Firebird earns 2 1/2 out of 5 pineapples.
Orchid
_________________________________________________________________________________
1. The Key to the Golden Firebird is part of my book collection.

Comments

Popular Posts