Spinning Pages (24): Ban This Book/We're Not Going to Take It


Oftentimes, while I'm reading a song will pop into my head because the book makes me think of it; sometimes the reverse happens and a random song will make me think of a book I have readSpinning Pages is a combination of my love for books and music. More often than not, the inspiration for these posts strikes while I have music thumping in my ears while exercising (kind of like how this feature came to be). 




This week on Spinning Pages takes us to a middle school embroiled in a fight against banned books. A book that I felt did a great job of balancing both sides of the argument and making a solid case for the opposing sides. One literally could not ask for a better set of song lyrics to pair with it than the following ones. I do hope y'all will enjoy the pairing as much as I do!!

We're Not Going to Take It by Twisted Sister-
We've got the right to choose it
There ain't no way we'll lost it
This is our life, this is our song

We'll fight the powers that be just
Don't pick our destiny 'cause
You don't know us, you don't belong

Oh we're not gonna take it
No, we ain't gonna take it
Oh we're not gonna take it anymore
I tell you, I have a pretty extensive memory when it comes to songs. That and my dad really likes classic rock, so I know more of them than one would believe. 

So, why Twisted Sister's We're Not Going to Take It for Alan Gratz's Ban This Book, well that is super easy. For one thing, not only is Amy Anne tired of having her books removed from their school library, due to one of the parents, but she is also tired of always being the dependable one who doesn't let their feelings be known. For me, pairing this book and song together is about how the banned book fight helped her to stand up for herself and take charge. 

Curious as to why I loved Alan Grat'z Ban This Book, you can see my full thoughts on it by checking out my review.

Maybe you've never heard Twister Sister's We're Not Going to Take It, or perhaps you have forgotten how the song goes...well, don't worry you can listen to it below!!

Comments

Popular Posts