Spinning Pages (2): Ms. Bixby's Last Day/Should I Stay or Should I Go


Oftentimes, while I'm reading a song will pop into my head because the book makes me think of it; sometimes the reverse happens and a random song will make me think of a book I have readSpinning Pages is a combination of my love for books and music. More often than not, inspiration for these posts strikes while I have music thumping in my ears while exercising (kind of like how this feature came to be). 





All week I have been trying to decide which song to use for Ms. Bixby's Last Day by John David Anderson. I had a few songs in mind that would have worked...yet it took, again, some random lyrics running through my head to send me in the song direction that felt right. While it may seem like an odd song to pick for a middle grade book, I do think some of the lyrics perfectly capture the struggle the boys  went through on deciding whether or not to visit Ms. Bixby (and cut school and all that stuff).


This week, I'm pairing Ms. Bixby's Last Day with the Clash's Should I Stay or Should I Go. If you've read the book, then you know that Topher, Brand and Steve break so many rules to visit Ms. Bixby before she goes. So many things go wrong; and the hardships/struggles they faced getting there and finding the strength to carry on their plan, well it all makes me think of the following lyrics.

Should I Stay or Should I Go by The Clash-
Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go, there will be trouble
And if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know
This indecision's bugging me (esta indecision me molesta)
(lyrics from Google Play Music)

If I'm being honest here, this lyrics specifically made me think of Brand...especially near the end of the book.

Need more convincing on why you should read John David Anderson's beautifully written Ms. Bixby's Last Day, then check out my review.


Comments

Popular Posts