I Want to Read It (44): A Study in Scarlet



I Want to Read It, a hybrid between WLW (or WOW) and what's on my to-be read pile. Well, instead of focusing just on books I would like to acquire, I will be using it to feature books that I just want to read. From the one's I want to buy to the one's sitting on my TBR at home.



A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, 1) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, June 10, 2003 (originally published 1887). Published by Modern Library. Source:
In 1887, a young Arthur Conan Doyle published A Study in Scarlet, creating an international icon in the quick-witted sleuth Sherlock Holmes. In this very first Holmes mystery, the detective introduces himself to Dr. John H. Watson with the puzzling line “You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive,” and so begins Watson’s, and the world’s, fascination with this enigmatic character. In A Study in Scarlet, Doyle presents two equally perplexing mysteries for Holmes to solve: one a murder that takes place in the shadowy outskirts of London, in a locked room where the haunting word Rache is written upon the wall, the other a kidnapping set in the American West. Picking up the “scarlet thread of murder running through the colourless skein of life,” Holmes demonstrates his uncanny knack for finding the truth, tapping into powers of deduction that still captivate readers today.
WHY

I may already own a copy and have, most likely, already read it (pre-Goodreads probably), and yet I still want another edition of it. Simply because the one I have is a big, awkward hardback. 

Even though I have most likely already read it, I still am hoping to read it at some point this year. Simply because The Hound of the Baskervilles totally has me clamoring for more Sherlock Holmes. I'll tell you this, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, with each read of his books, is very quickly climbing my list of favorite authors. His ability to weave thrilling mysteries and eccentric, yet not annoying, characters is proving to be quite fascinating.

If you have not read his books, I seriously recommend giving them a chance. 

Have you read any of the Sherlock Holmes books? If so, which is your favorite one?

Comments

Popular Posts