All About Middle Grade Review: Friday Barnes, Girl Detective


Friday Barnes, Girl Detective (Friday Barnes, 1) by R.A. Spratt, January 19, 2016. Illustrated by Phil Gosier. 272 pages. Published by Roaring Brook Press. Source: ARC from publisher.
When Friday Barnes solves a bank robbery, she uses the reward money to send herself to Highcrest Academy, the most exclusive boarding school in the country--and discovers it's a hotbed of crime!

Soon she's investigating everything from disappearing homework to the terrifying Yeti haunting the school swamp. But the biggest mystery yet is Ian Wainscott, the handsomest (and most arrogant) boy in school who inexplicably hates her. Will the homework be found? Can they ever track down the Yeti? And why is Ian out to ruin her?
First Sentence:
Friday Barnes was not an unhappy child.


Friday Barnes, Girl Detective- I enjoyed this one immensely. Friday, even without trying or meaning to, was such a funny character.

I was going through a massive reading binge one weekend, where I devoured six books over two days (crazy, right), and could not put this gem down. I just adored everything about this book and could not stand to postpone finding out how it ended. It was one of those rare books that just will not let you go.

Girl detective with a dry sense of humor, yes please!! Gah!! Friday was such an interesting character and she reminded me somewhat of Matilda (you know with how she's read everything) which was part of her charm. Yeah, Friday's awkwardness was one of the reasons I enjoyed reading about her so much. Yay for a socially awkward, smart girl to read about!!

R.A. Spratt really nailed the mystery aspect of the book and brilliant detective there to solve the day. I really enjoyed the way she was able to blend Friday's natural curiosity and book smarts together into this awkward ball of fun. For me, I cannot resist characters that enjoy solving crimes; especially when the mysteries just find them left and right.

One of the things I liked best about the Friday Barnes, Girl Detective was the friendship between Friday and Melanie. They made an odd duo, but, they made me laugh. Especially when Friday ventured forth to end the mystery surrounding the yeti and did not begrudge Melanie's decision. I am doing a horrible job describing their friendship without spoiling things, but it is definitely one of the great things about this book.

Guys, this book was such a joy to read!! The writing was fast paced and the characters were some of my favorites!! Between R.A. Spratt's writing and Phil Gosier's illustrations, this book was one that I speedily devoured in pretty much one sitting.

Final Verdict: Friday Barnes, Girl Detective- There is so much to love about this book!! The writing, plot, and characters are spot on and make this book such a fun/enjoyable read.

Friday Barnes, Girl Detective earns


An ARC of this book was received in consideration for review. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts