Not the V Word

Author: Scott Westerfeld
Title: Peeps
Series: Peeps (book 1)
Publication Date: 2005
Number of Pages: 304
Genre: YA/Sci-Fi
Synopsis: "A year ago, Cal Thompson was a college freshman more interested in meeting girls and partying than in attending biology class. Now, after a fateful encounter with a mysterious woman named Morgan, biology has become, literally, Cal's life.

Cal was infected by a parasite that has a truly horrifying effect on its host. Cal himself is a carrier, unchanged by the parasite, but he's infected the girlfriends he's had since Morgan. All three have turned into the ravening ghouls Cal calls Peeps. The rest of us know them as vampires. It's Cal's job to hunt them down before they can create more of their kind. . . ."

Okay, I know that Peeps came out in 2005, but I only got it, like, last week (it was awesome).
Peeps was one of the best books that I have read this year (I read it in four hours) and I have read a ton of books this year.
I really loved how tortured Cal seemed to be over the whole being a carrier and how he has to hunt down all of his former girlfriends. It was also funny how naive Cal was when he first arrived in New York. Peeps was a great blending of the supernatural, ancient myths, and history to keep you turning the pages till the very end. Without the book ever coming across as slow or muddled in it's plot. I would tell you more, but I don't want to give away anything and spoil it for those who haven't had a chance to read it yet.
One of the things that I really like about Scott Westerfeld's books is the characters. They all have such distinct personality's.
While this book is a great read, I do not recommend it to anyone who is squeamish or doesn't like reading little facts about real parasites and what they do to those that they inhabit (on every even numbered chapter).
I decided to put the covers for both the hardback and the reprint of the paperback (because I couldn't choose which one I liked more). You should check out their eyes on both covers their kind of freaky.

Orchid

Comments

  1. Huh, guess I won't be readin that book then. The chapters about parasites would likely give me a new phobia.
    Sad, because I really like Scott Westerfeld's books. :(
    Oh well, I'll get over it. After all, I'm still trying to finish Specials so I can read Extras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOW THAT IS ONE BOOK I CAN'T WAIT TO READ. IT SOUNDS LIKE A DISGUSTINGLY GREAT READ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read it, and it came off, to me, like someone sat Scott down with a pile of vampire books, a pile of medical textbooks, three cases of Red Bull and the Tremors boxed set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. E, would the first Tremors movie by any chance have Reba McEntire in it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I borrowed that book from the library but never got the chance to read it. And I STILL need to read the Uglies books! Dame Orchid, you have read so many books! Have you read a book called 'The Gypsy Crown' by Kate Forsyth? I won it in a competition three days ago and it looks boring... I'm not sure though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Irregular Kiki: Sorry, but I haven't read 'The Gypsy Crown'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read this book, so amazing! I love the random in-between chapters on random parasites. I feel so educated while I'm reading it! :P I haven't read any of the other books in the series, though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts