Spinning Pages (30): My Brigadista Year


Oftentimes, while I'm reading a song will pop into my head because the book makes me think of it; sometimes the reverse happens and a random song will make me think of a book I have readSpinning Pages is a combination of my love for books and music. More often than not, the inspiration for these posts strikes while I have music thumping in my ears while exercising (kind of like how this feature came to be). 




This week on Spinning Pages takes us to Cuba as thirteen-year-old Lora sets out to be a brigadista bringing literacy to her countrymen alongside and the dangerous times she experienced during her year away from home. A truly remarkable story!

I don't know about you, but I get so excited when the perfect song for a book leaps into my head!! I just knew from the moment my mind dredged up this one, which I simply love, that it needed to be paired with this book!!  

Letting Go by Suzy Bogguss-
Oh oh letting go
There's nothing in the way now,
Oh letting go, there's room enough to fly
And even though, she's spent her whole life waiting,
It's never easy letting go
These lyrics are perfection, guys! It fits Lora and her parents as they all face the difficult separation that comes with her joining the brigadistas for a year. We all know, no matter the form, letting go is so so hard. Yet, there's always a time and place for when it must happen; in this case, it is the Lora going out to Cuban countryside to teach, where there are bandits who would not think twice about killing her. 

When you really listen to the entire song, it is a tearjerker. I'll just warn you now! Yet it is one of my favorite songs from Suzy Bogguss. 

Want to learn more about My Brigadista Year by Katherine Paterson, then hop on over to my review to see my full thoughts on it. 

If you would like to watch the video for Suzy Bogguss' Letting Go, look no further than the video below! Hope you enjoy one of my favorite songs!!

Comments

Popular Posts