Fiction-Review: The Step-Spinsters



The Step-Spinsters by Madina Papadopoulos, July 18, 2017. Published by Createspace. Source: Author for review.
Once upon a time, in a land far, far away... ...(actually, in Medieval France, to be exact) there lived Cinderella's stepsisters, Fredegonde the tall and Javotte the small. They wake up the morning after the legendary ball to learn that they each still have a chance to be the bride-all they have to do is make their feet fit into that tricky slipper. Alas, these two damsels under stress never quite seem to fit in anywhere. But that doesn't stop them from wishing and hoping as they set upon a quest for grooms and grandeur of their own.

First Sentence
Though she wasn't much of a sleeping beauty, Fredegonde's eyes were sealed shut, as if she wished to sleep for the next hundred years.


I am not sure how to classify The Step-Spinsters...It's definitely not what one would call "NA", but also not really "YA" either...it's just a really good spin on the story of Cinderella (we'll just leave it at that). 
  • I am really excited to discuss Madina Papadopoulos' retelling, or new spin, on the classic Cinderella story. There were so many elements of the book that I really enjoyed; chief among them how she gave more depth to the overall story and the lives of Cinderella's stepsisters. It was a welcome change to an old tale and one that I think y'all will enjoy, too. 
  • If you know me, then you know that I enjoy historical books especially when the setting is done well. Which it was in this book. As I was reading, it really felt like the author was familiar with medieval France; it's all in the small details that show how much research was put into creating a believable medieval setting. I'm a stickler for world-building, be it fantasy or contemporary, as I want to see the world of the book come alive. I could go on about the setting, but I'll leave that for y'all to discover for yourself. 
  • I really enjoyed seeing a more in-depth look at Fredegonde and Javotte's personalities, as well, as their mother. It was really interesting to see their side of the story and how they differed so much from each other; let's not forget the relationship between them and Cinderella, it was explored in a totally different manner than most versions. Not only were their motives, Fredegonde's, marrying well to be more in charge of her house, and Javotte's, to marry for love, made them more real than any version of read/see of them. Especially when you read about their story in the context of the time that the book is set. 
  • Overall, the writing and storytelling in The Step-Spinsters were highly enjoyable! I'm not sure there's much more to discuss with this book without delving too far into spoilers. Just that I enjoyed it more than I thought I would!
Final Verdict: The Step-Spinsters- What if there was more to the tale of Cinderella than meets the eye. Well, that's what you'll see when you dive into this retelling that focuses equally on the three young women and their stories as they search for happiness. A rich setting adds so much to this already enjoyable read.

The Step-Spinsters earns


A copy of this book was received for review consideration from the author. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts