A Vintage Reads YA Review: Killer Spirit



Killer Spirit (The Squad, 2) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, February 12, 2008. 324 pages. Published by Laurel Leaf. Source: Own.
Saying Toby Klein is an unlikely cheerleader is like saying Paris Hilton might be into guys--understatement of the year. But the varsity squad at Bayport High gives new meaning to the phrase All-American, and Toby's double life as a varsity cheerleader and a government operative means balancing protocol, pep rallies, computer hacking, and handsprings.

Now something's about to go down in Bayport, and the Big Guys Upstairs need to know what. The Squad is on the case, but it looks like this mission could put the "l" in lethal. And if the spy business doesn't kill Toby, it's starting to look like Brooke, the team's captain, might. The nominations are in for homecoming court, and rumor has it that Toby is the unlikely front-runner for queen.

Terrorist threat? Bloody mission gone wrong? Demented squad captain?

Bring it on.
First Sentence
Once upon a time, I thought that the cheerleaders at my high school were no more capable of intelligent thought or true athleticism than the average dachshund.



Well, I decided to just go ahead and review Killer Spirit this week instead of pushing it off till, well, who knows when. It would be nice to see the series reprinted with new covers; you know since the Squad was pretty entertaining. Now that I have finished this series, I'm looking forward to reading, one day, some of Jennifer Lynn Barnes' newer books.

  • I actually liked this one more than Perfect Cover. It felt more complete; and that my suspicion of a certain character, who was briefly introduced at the beginning of book one. Can you say exciting!! I love when my theories are proved correct and the way it tied in was, well, to be perfectly honest oh so fitting for the series. I refuse to say more on that plot piece because a) it's very spoiler filled and b) because it is best enjoyed in the moment when the "big" reveal is made. 
  • Well, my feelings about Toby were still the same as they were in the first book, but as much as I disliked her, the story was more interesting than book one. Perhaps my increased enjoyment  of the second volume came down to the fact that not everything went as planned for them; that and the backstory on a couple of the characters. Personally, I liked that they struggled more in this book. Not only with their missions but also with internal rivalry over the homecoming queen. I'll say this, Jennifer Lynn Barnes knows how to write a great snippy scene; those girls went straight for the kill with some of their cutting remarks.
  •  Honestly, the writing was much better in this one and the plot felt more complete. Generally, I just enjoyed the concept of this one more. It gave more depth to the characters, hello backstory, and even the side characters were more interesting. Though I must say that Toby's brother nearly killed me with laughter; frankly, I am very surprised that he survived the series after his actions. Though they did add some comedy.
Final Verdict: Killer Spirit- From a high stake mission that puts not only the Squad's existence but also their lives in jeopardy to high school, queen-bee cattiness, this book will keep you entertained. Even though there was more in-fighting, I still enjoyed reading it because, like sisters, you fight yet still know they'll have your back.

Don't forget, you can see my thoughts on Perfect Cover, the first book in Jennifer Lynn Barnes' The Squad.

Killer Spirit earns
  

A copy of this book was purchased by me. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts