Graphic Novel Review: El Deafo


El Deafo by Cece Bell, September 4, 2014. 248 pages. Published by Amulet. Source: Borrowed from library.
Starting at a new school is scary, even more so with a giant hearing aid strapped to your chest! At her old school, everyone in Cece's class was deaf. Here she is different. She is sure the kids are staring at the Phonic Ear, the powerful aid that will help her hear her teacher. Too bad it also seems certain to repel potential friends.

Then Cece makes a startling discovery. With the Phonic Ear she can hear her teacher not just in the classroom, but anywhere her teacher is in school--in the hallway...in the teacher's lounge...in the bathroom! This is power. Maybe even superpower! Cece is on her way to becoming El Deafo, Listener for All. But the funny thing about being a superhero is that it's just another way of feeling different... and lonely. Can Cece channel her powers into finding the thing she wants most, a true friend?

This funny perceptive graphic novel memoir about growing up hearing impaired is also an unforgettable book about growing up, and all the super and super embarrassing moments along the way.
First Sentence:
I was a regular little kid.


I admit, I did not read what El Deafo was about when I decided to check it out fro the library. All I knew going in was that I had seen it around for the last few years. The cover and title piqued my interest, so, when I discovered that the library had a copy a jumped at the chance to read it.

You ever read an incredible book and then just don't know how to talk about. Well, that's where I'm at as I sit here writing down my thoughts for El Deafo by Cece Bell. This book was incredible and packed with so much feeling!!

Let's bullet point this review! I'm sure that is the only way I'll be able to discuss it!!

  • Oh my heart!! I really loved the way Cece Bell told the story of how she lost her hearing and her journey to finding a true friend who would treat her just like they would anyone else. There were things about Cece's story that I could relate to, well, or that anyone could relate to. Maybe not in what, exactly, she was going through though. 
  • I really enjoyed the artwork. It was cute though I was a little surprised by it in general. I was not expecting to see everyone depicted the way they were, even though it added a bit of whimsy making it, I guess, more appealing for younger readers. 
  • One of the things I liked best about El Deafo was the theme. I liked that it dealt with the seriousness of what happen to Cece while still maintaining a semi-lightheartedness feel. Ah, I fee like I'm not putting it well, it's just that I liked how well her story was told and that it was fun to read.
Final Verdict: El Deafo- Incredible! No other words than that are really needed.

El Deafo earns

This book was borrowed from the library. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts