Spinning Pages (21): The Poet's Dog/Softly and Tenderly


Oftentimes, while I'm reading a song will pop into my head because the book makes me think of it; sometimes the reverse happens and a random song will make me think of a book I have readSpinning Pages is a combination of my love for books and music. More often than not, the inspiration for these posts strikes while I have music thumping in my ears while exercising (kind of like how this feature came to be). 




This week on Spinning Pages, we are setting off into a winter storm where two children are taken in by the dog of a poet. As the three grow closer and mend their broken hearts a chance at new happiness is on the horizon. 

when you get down to it, The Poet's Dog needed a song that was


Softly and Tenderly by Rebecca Lynn Howard-
O for the wonderful love he has promised
Promised for you and for me
Though we have sinned, he has mercy and pardon
Pardon for you and for me

Come home, come home
Ye who are weary, come home
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling
Calling, O sinner, come home
(lyrics are taken from Lyrics)

I actually have not listened to Rebecca Lynn Howard's Softly and Tenderly in, well, years and years. But it just popped into my head when I was thinking about Patricia MacLachlan's The Poet's Dog as it felt like the two were meant to be paired together. 
This time, it's more the melody of the song and then the lyrics that made want to put them together. When I read the book, it was one of those story's that is told in such a calm, subtle way that pairing it with a fast tempo song would just not work at all. As to the lyrics selected, well, it made me think of something that Sylvan, the Poet, had said to Teddy. A certain something that would slowly play out during the book.  

Curious to learn more of my thoughts on The Poet's Dog by Patricia MacLachlan, then be sure to check out my review!  

You can listen to Rebecca Lynn Howard's Softly and Tenderly below. I do hope that you'll enjoy the song. It is really funny how a song you haven't heard in ages can just "pop" back into your head at the most random of thoughts!!

             

Comments

Popular Posts