Spinning Pages (6): Treasure Island/El Dorado


Oftentimes, while I'm reading a song will pop into my head because the book makes me think of it; sometimes the reverse happens and a random song will make me think of a book I have readSpinning Pages is a combination of my love for books and music. More often than not, inspiration for these posts strikes while I have music thumping in my ears while exercising (kind of like how this feature came to be). 



Ever since the idea for this feature struck me, there's been one song that I was hoping to pair up with a book-Exo's El Dorado. It may seem like that not long of time, except Spinning Pages has been in the works for almost a year... 

So, you may be wondering, "What on earth does a kpop song have in common with a classic book?" Simple, Treasure Island brought  El Dorado to mind with both being about those who sought treasure. Also, I just really like both the book and the song.


El Dorado by Exo
I had the same dream again
I was at an endless desert
There is a dazzling city
But it always vanishes before I get there

I’m going toward the place I have to go

I can’t confirm anything
I can’t promise anything but

Find the El Dorado, I’m leaving right now
The bigger the adventure, the more danger that follows

Into the light that spreads out before us
Toward the future that no one knows of
This walk will be a legend in the days to come
The El Dorado
(Translated lyrics from Kpop Lyrics)

As much as Jim Hawkins wanted adventure, and of course treasure, you know that the whole quest was more than he bargained for. As for the song, I liked how they were heading towards El Dorado hoping it would not disappear before they arrived; kind of like how the crew hoped the treasure would still be there on the island. That and how neither one knew what would befall them as they sought the treasure; which I thought was pretty fascinating.

Of course, these are just my thoughts on why I thought Treasure Island and El Dorado made an interesting pairing. Need further convincing that you should read Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island, then please check out my review.

Have you read Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island or listened to EXO's El Dorado? If so, let me know what you thought of them!!


Comments

Popular Posts