I Want to Read It (47): Scarlet Letter



I Want to Read It, a hybrid between WLW (or WOW) and what's on my to-be read pile. Well, instead of focusing just on books I would like to acquire, I will be using it to feature books that I just want to read. From the one's I want to buy to the one's sitting on my TBR at home.



Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, 1994 (originally published March 16, 1850). 180 pages. Published by Dover. Source: Own.
Nathaniel Hawthorne’s most famous novel was published in 1850 and takes place in Puritan New England, focusing on a community where a beautiful young woman, Hester Prynne, and her illegitimate child are subject to persecution and ostracism; while the mother refuses to name her co-conspirator in adultery, and the father of her child burns up with secret guilt and shame. Hawthorne’s family history caused much of his interest in this time period, but his spiritual leanings toward the popular Transcendental movement precipitated this classic novel where oppression, injustice and intolerance – and their consequences – are explored in turn. 

Why

 I have actually already read The Scarlet Letter, but it has been some time since then. I'll be rereading Nathaniel Hawthornes most popular book for #ReadJane (find me on Twitter if you would like to join us).

I don't quite recall what I thought of it when I first read it, but I'm looking forward to reading it with fresh eyes. I always believe that books need to be read at least twice. Once for the story as it is; and the second time to takeaway what is hidden between the lines

Have you read The Scarlet Letter? If so, what did you think of it?  Would you be interested in reading it with our group (six chapters a week during March; then a wrap-up chat at the end of the month)?

Comments

Popular Posts