Evolution, Me and Other Freaks of Nature

Author: Robin Brande
Title: Evolution, Me and Other Freaks of Nature
Publication Date: 2007
Number of Pages: 268
Genre: YA/Fiction
Synopsis: “Your best friend hates you. The guy you liked hates you. Your entire group of friends hates you. All because you did the right thing. Welcome to life for Mena, whose year is starting off in the worst way possible. She's been kicked out of her church group and no one will talk to her—not even her own parents. No one except for Casey, her supersmart lab partner in science class, who's pretty funny for the most brilliant guy on earth.”

I was quite disappointed with Evolution, Me and Other Freaks of Nature. It lacked a character that you could like even when all you wanted to do was give them a smack upside the head for being so… well stupid.
I also found Evolution, Me and Other Freaks of Nature to be wholly unoriginal and a completely predictable read. I guessed early on what it was that Mena had done to incur the wrath of all her friends and to be ostracized from her church group.
I found it hard to finish, but I don’t really like leaving a book unfinished (it tends to drive me crazy not knowing how something ends… even if I’m not particularly interested in it).
While Evolution, Me and Other Freaks of Nature wasn’t up to my liking, I wouldn’t go so far as to say that you shouldn’t ever give it a shot. Who knows, you might like it.
My least favorite part of the book would have to be how Mena’s parents treated her after she tried to right the wrong of what her church group was doing to one of the other kids in their group. It just totally drove me crazy that they would put their social standing above listening to their daughter.
The only upside to the book would have to be the puppies that were part of her and her lab partners experiment; they were adorable. Oh, and her lab buddy Casey. He was by far my favorite character in the whole book.

Evolution, Me and Other Freaks of Nature earns 3 out of 5 pineapples for being an okay, but not the best book I have ever read; just one that I won’t be re-reading any time soon.

Orchid
___________________________
1. Evolution, Me and Other Freaks of Nature was borrowed from the library.

Comments

  1. I often feel like giving characters smacks upside the head, but this one sounds like something I wouldn't be able to stand. The title's interesting enough, but the plot and the attitude toward the main character doesn't really sound like something I'd be drawn to. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts