Hex Hall

Author: Rachel Hawkins
Title: Hex Hall
Series: Hex Hall (book 1)
Publication Date: 2010
Number of Pages: 323
Genre: YA/Fantasy
Synopsis: “Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father-an elusive European warlock-only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.”

Six months into the 2010 Debut Author Challenge and I have finally read my first tenner book. *yay for me*
As a debut book I thought Hex Hall was written really well with an interesting plot, except that the story was highly predictable at points.
For example: by the time that Sophie had met her new classmates (and the ghost) I already knew how things were going to go and what each characters motives for doing the things that they would do would be (I blame all the mystery books I have read).
Character wise, I really liked reading about Sophie and her attempt to blend in with her sittings. I especially enjoyed reading the tidbits on why her and her mother had to keep moving, because she would try to help some one with her newly acquired powers, I thought they gave her a more rounded appearance.
My favorite part of Hex Hall would have to be when Sophie tries to help a classmate (before she’s sentenced to Hecate Hall) by performing a love spell that goes awry. It was one of the funniest things to happen in the book and was also a great way to introduce the MC to the readers.
My least favorite part of the book would have to be the way the way that Sophie’s powers where shown. It just came across as kind of silly.
If you take away the predictability factor 2, Hex Hall was a truly good and solid read. I would definitely say that Hex Hall is a must read for all fans of YA.

Hex Hall earns 4 out of 5 pineapples.
________________________________________________
1. Hex Hall was borrowed from the library.
2. Which is only on my part. Simply because when I take a break from reading my mind is spinning out scenarios for what’s going to happen next and usually I’m right.

Comments

  1. I LOVED this book! i can't wait 4 the next one! great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I've seen it before on other blogs, and all the reviews seem to be positive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dying to read this one! It sounds sooo good! I'll definitely be getting it from the library after I finish some of the books I'm reading right now.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts