In My Mailbox (14)

In My Mailbox was started by The Story Siren and inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie. Sadly the only books I order are those that are hard to find. The following books are from the library and bookstores.

Contest:
Author: Michelle Zink
Publication Date: 2009
Synopsis: "Sixteen year-old Lia Milthorpe has just recently lost her father, leaving her parentless. But when a strange mark appears on her wrist, she realizes she is being branded with much more than her newfound title of orphan. Lia and her twin sister Alice are part of an ancient prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other. Lia hides this discovery from Alice and even from her beloved James, but to escape from the burden this secret bestows she must end the prophecy-before her sister. Only then will she understand the mysterious circumstances of her parents' deaths, the true meaning of the mark on her wrist, the lengths to which her sister will go to defeat her, and the impact the resolution of the prophecy could have.
With, haunting, lyrical prose, this multi-layered story of family, friendship, and romance explores the timeless question of predetermination versus free will. And it takes readers on an unforgettable coming-of-age journey where one sister's self-discovery could have an impact of Biblical proportion."
I would like to thank Tina of Fantastic Book Review for hosting the awesome contest where I was lucky enough to score an ARC and some book swag for Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink (which I'm super excited to read). Thanks Tina.


Library:
Author: Lian Hearn
Series: Tales of the Otori (book 1)
Publication Date: 2002
Synopsis: "This first book in a new epic trilogy has already become a bestselling sensation in England and Australia, earning comparisons to Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It begins with Legend of a Nightingale Floor in a black-walled fortress -- a floor that sings in alarm at the step of an assassin. It will take all the skills of an ancient Tribe, and all the passion of true courage, for one orphaned youth named Takeo to discover the magical destiny that awaits him . . . across the nightingale floor."
Across the Nightingale Floor is really good so far. I think I might just have to check out the sequel next time I'm at the library.

Author: Dorothy & Thomas Hoobler
Series: The Samurai Detective (book 2)
Publication Date: 2001
Synopsis: "The beautiful, mysterious women of Japan are being killed one by one. The famous samurai Judge Ooka knows he will need help to solve the crimes, so he turns to his newly adopted son, fourteen-year-old Seikei. Determined to prove his worth as a samurai, Seikei goes undercover as a teahouse attendant in the exotic "floating city" of Yoshiwara, where demons lurk among the pleasure seekers and no one is safe-not even a samurai."
I've already finished The Demon in the Teahouse and it was a better than the first one (The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn).

Author: Kurt Vonnegut
Publication Date: 1969
Synopsis: "Unstuck in time, Billy Pilgrim, Vonnegut's shattered survivor of the Dresden bombing, relives his life over and over again under the gaze of aliens; he comes at last to some understanding of the human comedy. The basis of George Roy's great 1972 film and perhaps the signature student's novel in the 1960's embracing protest and the absurdity of war."
Frankly I decided to get Slaughterhouse Five because I couldn't think of anything else to get and I really wanted something to add to the two books from my last trip.

Bought:
Author: Alex Archer
Series: Rogue Angel (book 17)
Publication Date: 2009
Synopsis: "After shooting an episode of Chasing History's Monsters at a dig in Australia, Annja Creed is left feeling mildly unimpressed. The artifacts being uncovered are considered fringe by experts who doubt their authenticity. Annja is disappointed by the general lack of mystery involved. But her boredom is quickly replaced with fear when all that's left of her cameraman is a drop of blood on his hotel-room carpet.

As she looks for her friend, Annja narrowly escapes an attack by gunmen. She realizes her cameraman must have captured the image of something so valuable that someone would kill them for just having dared look at it. When it becomes clear that everyone on the dig is at risk, Annja begins to think they're in danger not because of what they saw, but who..."
Since the book after this one has been sitting unread on my shelf for months now; I'm super excited about Eternal Journey because once I read it I can finally read Sacrifice. *yay*

Well that's all for me this week in books. Can't wait to see what ya'll got book wise this week. :)

Orchid

Comments

  1. I want to read Slaughterhouse Five, and other books by Vonnegut. I've only read Hocus Pocus and it was amazing.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slaughterhouse-Five is a great book. Hope you enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great books you got this week. They all look really good. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prophecy is really good. Hope you enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the ARC cover of Prophecy of the Sisters more than the other one. Hope you like it. Happy reading! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still need to read Prophecy! lucky you! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO glad you received the swag! Enjoy!
    <3

    MZ

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that cover of Propecy of the Sisters! Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. lots of great books and bookish goodies! so much fun! happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like I've seen Across the Nightingale Floor before, but I never thought to pick it up-it looks really good.
    Thanks for posting! Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm reading Slaughter-House Five right now and I like it so far (although it's going slow with all the homework I have...) I need to read Prophecy of the Sisters!!

    Happy Reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look like great books, thanks for sharing. I have an award for you!

    http://gofita.blogspot.com/2009/09/more-fun-awards.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts