Marked

Title: Marked
Series: House of Night, book 1
Number of Pages: 320
First Publication: 2007
Genre: YA/ Horror
Synopsis: "Enter the dark, magical world of The House of Night, a world very much like our own, except here vampyres have always existed. Sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird has just been Marked as a fledgling vampyre and joins the House of Night, a school where she will train to become an adult vampire. That is, if she makes it through the Change--and not all of those who are Marked do. It sucks to begin a new life, especially away from her friends, and on top of that, Zoey is no average fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the vampyre Goddess Nyx. Zoey discovers she has amazing powers, but along with her powers come bloodlust and an unfortunate ability to Imprint her human ex-boyfriend. To add to her stress, she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers: When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampyre friends."

 So I finally read the first book in the House of Night series (that has been sitting on my shelf for, like, a month and which has taken me two months to write) and let me just say it was awesome. It's definitely one of the best vampire books I have read in a long time.
Zoey's step-dad was a monster,*gah* I just wanted to kick him repeatedly (where it would hurt him the most *hehehe*) and her mom was such a push-over who I wanted to strangle (sorry) and I cannot believe she was "friends" with K, who I think was more of a B than Aphrodite is.
My biggest complaint about the book would have to be that she got to much power and responsibility way to early on in the series in my opinion.
I think my favorite character(s) were Damien, Stevie Rae, and Zoey. Damien because he was smart and funny, and I loved his use of bigger words that the twins couldn’t understand. I liked Zoey because she was an okay main character. I like Stevie Rae because she just seemed like such a nice girl (plus she likes country music).
One of my favorite parts about this book is how their change into becoming a vampire is a slow process, rather than being been bitten die and then rise again to feed upon the rest of humanity.

The only two books in the series that I don't own are Untamed and Haunted.
I'm going to give Marked 3 out of 5 Pineapples.
Orchid

Comments

  1. I just finished it and I absolutely HEART this book! And I will agree, Damien is the awesomest guy ever and Stevie Rae is such a sweet heart, she's super awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts