DNF Review: A Darkly Beating Heart


A Darkly Beating Heart by Lindsay Smith, October 25, 2016. 272 pages. Published by Roaring Brook Press. Source: ARC from publisher.
A time-travel story that alternates between modern day and 19th century Japan as one girl confronts the darkness lurking in her soul.

No one knows what to do with Reiko. She is full of hatred. All she can think about is how to best hurt herself and the people closest to her. After a failed suicide attempt, Reiko’s parents send her from their Seattle home to spend the summer with family in Japan to learn to control her emotions. But while visiting Kuramagi, a historic village preserved to reflect the nineteenth-century Edo period, Reiko finds herself slipping back in time into the life of Miyu, a young woman even more bent on revenge than Reiko herself. Reiko loves being Miyu, until she discovers the secret of Kuramagi village, and must face down Miyu’s demons as well as her own.
First Sentence
Uncle Satori says mastery is a well-worn path.



I was really hoping that this would be an enjoyable read as it has time travel and is set in Japan, but alas this book was not good. NOT AT ALL.
  • I have given A Darkly Beating Heart three separate chances to pull me in over the course of two years (I kid you not). Yet each time I cracked open the book, it is always the same thing that turns me away time and again. The lack of context. 
  • When I say this book lacked context, I mean that you have Reiko, this incredibly angry and volatile character, with zero reasons given for her attitude. Sure, there's the whole building the story and character arc, but when the entire premise just feels like a pointless rage fest then you can count me out.
  • There is only one answer that I need when it comes to this book: Why! Why did she feel the need to "carve" her pain upon her heart! Even though I am officially over this book and not willing it give it a fourth chance, I still would like to know what pushed her so far over the edge. AS much as I want to know that answer, I just do not care enough to bother reading further to find out if it is ever brought to light.
  • I usually really enjoy books about revenge (Count of Monte Cristo being my absolute favorite revenge book), so to say this was disappointing for a revenge book would be an understatement. It would have been a more readable book if the author had started off with why Reiko was bent on revenge and filled with a poisonous hatred, you know! 

Final Verdict: A Darkly Beating Heart- Is neither entertaining nor a profitable read to spend your time on.

A Darkly Beating Heart earns
An advanced copy of this book was received for review consideration from the publisher. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts