Spinning Pages (32): The Step-Spinsters


Oftentimes, while I'm reading a song will pop into my head because the book makes me think of it; sometimes the reverse happens and a random song will make me think of a book I have readSpinning Pages is a combination of my love for books and music. More often than not, the inspiration for these posts strikes while I have music thumping in my ears while exercising (kind of like how this feature came to be). 




This week on Spinning Pages takes us to medieval France where Cinderella and her stepsisters are in search of not only love but security in life. A spin on the classic story that brings to light the life and struggles of Cinderella's stepsisters and the path they walk. 

 I cannot even tell you how perfectly perfect this song is for The Step-Spinsters!! Not just based on the song title!! Keep reading to see which song I'm using this week and why I chose it!!

Hey Cinderella by Suzy Bogguss-
Hey hey, Cinderella, what's the story all about
I got a funny feeling we missed a page or two somehow
Ohh-ohhhh, Cinderella, maybe you could help us out

Does the shoe fit you now
We're older but no more the wise
We've learned the art of compromise
Sometimes we laugh, sometimes we cry
And sometimes we just break down

We're good now 'cause we have to be
Come to terms with our vanity
Sometimes we still curse gravity
When no one is around
First off, Suzy Bogguss has a beautiful voice!!! This is also, not only a favorite of mine, but one where even years later I can still sing all the words!!

I chose this song because The Step-Spinsters gives an entirely new, at least to me, look at the story of Cinderella and her stepsisters. One that I really enjoyed because it asks some of the questions that one is left wondering over after, say, the Disney version.  It was interesting to see a motivation behind the moves the stepsisters made to improve their lives, especially when taken in context with the historical setting of the story. 

Curious about the rest of my thoughts on Madina Papadopoulos' The Step-Spinsters, then be sure to check out my review!!  

You should most definitely check out the music video for Suzy Bogguss' Hey Cinderella, if for no other reason than to hear the entire song as well as her lovely voice!!

Comments

Popular Posts