I Want to Read It (33): Fannie Never Flinched



I Want to Read It, a hybrid between WLW (or WOW) and what's on my to-be read pile. Well, instead of focusing just on books I would like to acquire, I will be using it to feature books that I just want to read. From the one's I want to buy to the one's sitting on my TBR at home.


Fannie Never Flinched by Mary Cronk Farrell, November 1, 2016. 56 pages. Published by Abram's Books for Young Readers: Source: from publisher/review stack. 
Fannie Sellins (1872–1919) lived during the Gilded Age of American Industrialization, when the Carnegies and Morgans wore jewels while their laborers wore rags. Fannie dreamed that America could achieve its ideals of equality and justice for all, and she sacrificed her life to help that dream come true. Fannie became a union activist, helping to create St. Louis, Missouri, Local 67 of the United Garment Workers of America. She traveled the nation and eventually gave her life, calling for fair wages and decent working and living conditions for workers in both the garment and mining industries. Her accomplishments live on today. This book includes an index, glossary, a timeline of unions in the United States, and endnotes.


Why

I actually already have a copy of Fannie Never Flinched, of which I am quite excited to read, sitting on my desk waiting to be read. As a history junkie, I could not pass up the opportunity to read about Fannie Sellins' who helped to form unions and to fight for just wages, conditions, and fair treatment for workers. 

I am rather excited to see how Mary Cronk Farrell will tell her story, as well, as a look into American History (because it is not as filled with sunshine and daisy as most history curriculum would have you think).

Have you heard of Fannie Never Flinched?

Comments

Popular Posts