YA Review: The Impostor Queen

The Impostor Queen (untitled series, book 1) by Sarah Fine, January 5, 2016. 336 pages. Published by Margaret K. McElderry. Source: ARC from publisher.
Sixteen-year-old Elli was a small child when the Elders of Kupari chose her to succeed the Valtia, the queen who wields infinitely powerful ice and fire magic. Since then, Elli has lived in the temple, surrounded by luxury and tutored by magical priests, as she prepares for the day when the Valtia perishes and the magic finds a new home in her. Elli is destined to be the most powerful Valtia to ever rule.

But when the queen dies defending the kingdom from invading warriors, the magic doesn’t enter Elli. It’s nowhere to be found.

Disgraced, Elli flees to the outlands, the home of banished criminals—some who would love to see the temple burn with all its priests inside. As she finds her footing in this new world, Elli uncovers devastating new information about the Kupari magic, those who wield it, and the prophecy that foretold her destiny. Torn between the love she has for her people and her growing loyalty to the banished, Elli struggles to understand the true role she was meant to play. But as war looms, she must align with the right side—before the kingdom and its magic are completely destroyed.
First Sentence:
She didn't know which hurt more-the ice or the fire.


I have both good and bad news when it comes to The Impostor Queen. The good news is that I enjoyed; the bad news is there were some things that made me roll my eyes in displeasure. Overall, with the exception of one thing, this was a really enjoyable read.

The Impostor Queen was the first time I have read anything by Sarah Fine. What attracted me to this book is that it's fantasy and because the write-up sounded fairly interesting. Yet, as I've come to find out one should not always buy into a good sounding write-up...yet, the premise was so intriguing that I decided to give this one chance to impress me. Long story short, I'm very much glad for the chance to have read this one. The writing and story were really well done.

One of the things that fascinated me about this book was the Valtia's power and the basis of the power of the Kupari...okay, that and the intrigues that happened with those thirsting for power. There's not much I can say about this because it is a big point in the plot.

I liked the political intrigue and how Elli had to come to terms with the fact that not everything was how she imagined it to be. It was quite...interesting (close enough)...because everything she thought she was and that her people were was wrong. Might sound cruel, but, is she did not have that struggle on no longer knowing who she was or her place in her world, this book, well, might not have held my attention.

Alright, so, there was one aspect of the book that totally had me cringing and rolling my eyes. I was less than thrilled with the rapid progression of the romantic angle in The Impostor Queen. It just moved to quick from mistrust to them being romantically "interested" in each other. It just did not feel like a natural progression given everything that was going on. I'll be honest, when the two characters became interested in each other I was very close to tossing the book aside.

Even though there were one or two things I did not like about The Impostor Queen, I am still curious to read more of her books. Hoping that they're young adult and not adult titles... The world and plot were definitely interesting; as well as the writing. With only one Sarah Fine book read, the verdict is still out on whether she'll become an author I'd read anything/everything by with out a second thought. Although I did enjoy my first taste of her writing.

Final Verdict: The Impostor Queen - An interesting start to what could potentially be a great series. I really enjoyed the world setting and seeing how the stage was set for book two; couple things I didn't like but still a pretty good read.

The Impostor Queen earns
this ARC was received from the publisher for review consideration. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts