YA Review: Six of Crows

Six of Crows (Six of Crows, 1) by Leigh Bardugo, September 29, 2015. 465 pages. Published by Henry Holt & Co. Source: Library.
Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Kaz's crew are the only ones who might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.
First Sentence:
Joost had two problems: the moon and his mustache.


Even though I quite enjoyed Leigh Bardugo's Grisha books I was somewhat nervous about reading Six of Crows. My main concern was that it was set in the same world as the previous series. I know, that's a somewhat weird thing to worry about since I enjoyed her other books; just that sometimes certain authors spend to much time retreading the same path that worked the first time without breaking new ground...

Truth time- it took me some time to get into Six of Crows. I probably would have flown through it quicker and loved it more had I been able to read it in one sitting. Sadly though it took me two weeks to read it because I was so busy and could only read a few pages here and there.

Okay, so, while I ended p really enjoying Six of Crows, it took a little over half the book to really get going. In must cases, I probably would have abandoned the book due to the slowness of the set-up but since I was familiar with the world and the author's writing I decided to go with it. The wait, both in the set-up of the story and getting my hands on a copy, was definitely worth it.

What I really liked about Six of Crows would have to be the characters. I actually liked them, well most of them, more than those of the Grisha books. Surprising, I know!! I especially liked how their back-stories were revealed as the plot unfolded. That was what really hooked me into the story.

The final thing that I really enjoyed would have to be the crazy as can be heist that Kaz and them took on. Oh my gosh!! Reading Six of Crows put in mind of Ocean's Eleven in terms of craziness. That was truly what made me really enjoy this book. I thought the whole lead up, (crazy as can be) plan, and the delivery was really well done. So, if you can be patient and wait through the setting up of the story, you will be in for one crazy and incredible story.

Final Verdict: Six of Crows- While I had reservations going on, I though Leigh Bardugo did a fantastic job. Even though I really enjoyed her other series, you could definitely see a marked difference in her writing!! This book is crazy good (the last two parts were impossible to walkaway from)!!

Six of Crows earns

This book was borrowed from the library. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts