All About Middle Grade Review: League of Seven


The League of Seven (League of Seven, 1) by Alan Gratz, August 9, 2014. 352 pages. Published by Starscape. Source: Library.
Young Archie Dent knows there really are monster in the world. His parents are members of the Septemberist Society, whose job it is to protect humanity from hideous giants called the Mangleborn. Trapped in underground prisons for a thousand years, the giant monsters have been all but forgotten -- but now they are rising again as the steam-driven America of 1875 rediscovers electricity, the lifeblood of the Mangleborn.

When his parents and the rest of The Septemberists are brainwashed by one of the evil creatures, Archie must assemble a team of seven young heroes to save the world.
First Sentence:
The secret entrance to the headquarters of the Septembrist Society could only be reached by submarine.



Somehow reviewing The League of Seven fell through the cracks last year. I'm quite disappointed in myself for letting that happen because it was such a great read! It was one of my favorite books and yet I ended up never talking about it here on the blog. 

When I enjoy the young adult writings of an author, I'm always excited to give their middle grade books a chance. And boy am I glad I took a chance on The League of Seven as it was such a thrilling and fun read. From the secret society that's called forth whenever the world's in danger, to the steam-driven alternate history that Alan Gratz re-visioned the world in this book is so good!!

Well, in my opinion, if your going to do an alternate history world within your book you may as well do it right. Which is precisely what Alan Gratz did in The League of Seven. I really enjoyed seeing the way he pictured the world where steam was the power source and foul creatures were about to be loosed upon the world. Ah, now that made for some great reading.

I am not so secretly jealous of past me for getting to read this book; also seriously contemplating borrowing it from the library for a second read.

You know me, I happen to love books where a group of people is summoned o come together and save the world from darkness. And you know what, this book did that brilliantly. I really liked how this vastly different kids, from different walks of life, were being called to fill the places of the brainwashed Septemberists to save the world. It was quite trilling to read.

Writing-wise, I'll just be honest and say that Alan Gratz did a great job. The characters, plot, and overall writing was really great and made some fun reading. From start to finish, there was so much to enjoy about reading this book. It was one of those books that reminds one why they enjoy reading!!

Final Verdict: The League of Seven- Guys, this book is pretty awesome! From the setting and characters to the story-line and writing, this book is one you do not want to miss out on!!

The League of Seven earns

Hey, so this book was borrowed from the library sometime last year. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts