Manga Review: Strobe Edge 1

Strobe Edge 1 by Io Sakisaka, November 6, 2012. 200 pages. Published by Viz Media, LCC. Source: Edelweiss/publisher.
Having no experience in romance, the vibrant Ninako curiously explores the meaning of what "love" really is, and is surprised to feel a colorful range of emotions as she grows closer to the school heartthrob, the quiet yet gentle Ren, who also happens to be involved in a longtime relationship. With every intention of keeping her head held high, Ninako prepares to face the mental pain of this one-sided love that she had allowed to take root, facing a series of trials that would either contribute to her growth as a headstrong woman, or break her as it did with other girls. However, is this really a one-sided love? Or had something been silently sown in the most hidden part of Ren's heart?
First Sentence:
My mom asked me to pick some things up for her. 

Story:
So, I have found the one thing that I can read via my computer...manga.

From the very first page of Strobe Edge I was blown away. The further into the story that I got the more I loved it because Io Sakisaka did a phenomenal job of creating a story that could very well have been based on real life. Her writing was just so good and the characters were ones that I loved from the beginning to end.
    I really enjoyed the way she went about telling the story of Ninako and her first taste of love. This might also be the only manga that I have read were I loved both of the male characters-the one that she falls for and the friend who loves her.

While I don't generally like reading books solely about love and romantic relationships, or the lack of one, I always find myself loving the shojo manga that are all about that. But what sets Strobe Edge apart from other shojos would have to be the characters. Because while things are-obviously- not going to go in Ninako's favor, in the first volume, she doesn't go too crazy.

I also really enjoyed the way the author paired the beautiful artwork and her amazing writing to show you why and how she fell for him. It was cool because you could literally see the moment she fell for Ren and how this new feeling changed her.
 
Characters:
Ninako, she may be my new favorite manga heroine. She was just such a great character to read about and I came to love her as a character because she fell for the nice guy. The one who would go out of his way to help someone. My final reason for liking her would have to be that it was refreshing to read about a manga heroine who was sweet, yet honest with how she felt.

The boys of Strobe Edge were two of my favorites. Both of the boys had admirable qualities and were both two of the nicest manga boys ever. While I liked them both, I feel that as the series progress I am going to be sad no matter what happens and how things end for Ninako because I want both of them to be happy.

Artwork:
Io Sakisaka's drawings are just beautiful! As I was reading Strobe Edge I'd always stop and sometimes even go back to admire her drawings. I loved the way she captured each of the characters and how they came to life on paper.

One of the things I liked most about Io Sakisaka's art would have to be the expressions Ninako makes. That character made me smile, and her characterization was so good. As I said earlier in my review, I really liked how well that author/artist captured the changes that Ninako went through and how you could see her starting to fall for the boy.

Final Verdict: Strobe Edge 1 probably the best manga about love...ever!!!

Strobe Edge 1 earns 5 out of 5 pineapples.

Comments

  1. I love the synopsis of this manga. I've never heard of it, but I so want to read it!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I heard of it by chance and ended up loving it so much...volume two is just as good. =)

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts