Need

Need (Need, book 1) by Carrie Jones; 2008.
Zara White suspects there’s a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She’s also obsessed with phobias. And it’s true, she hasn’t exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane . . . but Zara’s pretty sure her mom just can’t deal with her right now.

She couldn’t be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara’s overactive imagination. In fact, he’s still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There’s something not right—not human—in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.

I’m just going to come right out and say that I didn’t enjoy reading Need in the least.
The story seemed overplayed, even though it was pixies, and the pacing was too slow. It took over half the book for the pixies to actually come into play, although I had already pegged who was a pixie shortly after they were introduced into the story.
I think that what irritated me the most about Zara was that she seemed to force her opinions on everyone she came into contact with. This made her come across as very self-centered, even though she was doing things to help others. The only upside to this book was Zara’s grandmother, she was hilarious.
On a high note it was nice to read about something other than faeries and vampires. I also liked how there were other kinds of shifters other than werewolves, which are getting little overplayed.
I was so disappointed with Need that I didn’t even have a favorite part of the book. And unless I’m convinced that Captivate is way better then Need was I don’t think I’ll be reading the rest of this series, but I will definitely give the author another try with a different series.
Least favorite part(s): It was slow, predictable, and the MC was just flat out annoying.

Would I recommend this book? That’s a tough one. Because I don’t want to turn someone who might like it off from even giving it a chance. So I say if you think it sounds like a good book then go ahead and give it a go.

If you think I should read the sequel let me know. 

Need earns 2 out of 5 pineapples.

Comments

  1. Hmmm. I probably would not read that--it sounds like it would just annoy me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the majority of what you said, i actually didnt like the the shifters part in the story.. I just think there are better books out there to spend my time on here's my review (we had similar thoughts)

    New follower

    http://bit.ly/dRxEZD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts