Mini Challenge/Update: Fall Catch-Up Read-A-Thon




I usually don't participate in anything that has anything to do with banned books, but I like mini challenges so here's a list of banned books I have read.

“To Kill A Mockingbird,” by Harper Lee (I read this book last year, not because it was banned but because it sounded like a great book, which it was.)
The Chocolate War,” by Robert Cormier (I actually had no idea it was banned, but I enjoyed reading it)
His Dark Materials trilogy, by Philip Pullman (I just thought it was a fascinating fantasy read)
Harry Potter (series), by J.K. Rowling (I love the Harry Potter series)
The Giver, by Lois Lowry (just started reading this series this year and love them banned or not.)
Goosebumps (Series), by R.L. Stine (you have got be kidding, Goosebumps was banned!)
A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L’Engle (are you kidding, Madeleine L'Engle's characters are some of the best I have ever read and  most of them are pretty decent kids).
Blood and Chocolate, by Annette Curtis Klause (still one of my favorite reads)
Tiger Eyes, by Judy Blume (don't ask me what it's about, all I remember is that I read it)
Shade’s Children, by Garth Nix (Read this one about four years ago and thought it was pretty good. Not exactly his best book, but still good none the less.)


I don't read or not read a book simply because it's banned. I read based on whether or not I think it sounds like something I would enjoy.

Comments

  1. I agree with you, Orchid. Any of the books on the banned/challenged lists that I have read were books I read because I wanted to, not just because of their banned status. It is always surprising to look at the lists and see books that you read and loved listed. A Wrinkle in Time is very surprising. I'm listening to it on audio right now and I have not heard anything offensive. I first read it when I was 9 or 10 years and just thought it a great fantasy/sci-fi read.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree too. I read what appeals to me. There a several of the more current banned books that I haven't read simply because edgy contemporary fiction just isn't my thing, and several of those seem to be hitting the list. I also loved the giver and Wrinkle in Time. Good luck with your reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts