In My Mailbox (54)

In My Mailbox was started by Kristi of The Story Siren and inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie. Sadly the only books I order are those that are hard to find. The following books are from the library and bookstores.

Contest:
Incarceron ARC (Incarceron book 1) by Catherine Fisher, 2010.
Incarceron is a prison unlike any other: Its inmates live not only in cells, but also in metal forests, dilapidated cities, and unbounded wilderness. The prison has been sealed for centuries, and only one man, legend says, has ever escaped.

  Finn, a seventeen-year-old prisoner, can’t remember his childhood and believes he came from Outside Incarceron. He’s going to escape, even though most inmates don’t believe that Outside even exists. And then Finn finds a crystal key and through it, a girl named Claudia.
  Claudia claims to live Outside—her father is the Warden of Incarceron and she’s doomed to an arranged marriage. If she helps Finn escape, she will need his help in return. But they don’t realize that there is more to Incarceron than meets the eye. Escape will take their greatest courage and cost far more than they know.
   Because Incarceron is alive.

A huge thanks goes out to Angela of Reading Angel; I won Incarceron during the Once Upon a Read-a-Thon, can't wait to read it.

Prophecy of Days (The Daykeeper's Grimoire, book 1) by Christy Raedeke; 2010.
Can one (super smart) girl (who just wants to be discovered) decipher the cryptic Mayan calendar prophecy and SAVE THE WORLD?
When her safe-cracker mom and code-breaker dad inherit a dreary Scottish castle, sixteen-year-old Caity Mac Fireland is not happy. Ripped from her cushy life and friends in San Francisco, Caity’s secret fantasy of being discovered by a Hollywood agent, talent scout, or even just a pageant coach seems more unlikely than ever.
But when Caity stumbles across a hidden room in the castle, its walls covered in strange symbols, her life takes a bizarre turn. She finds herself center stage in an international conspiracy involving warring secret societies, assassins, the suppressed revelations of the Mayan Calendar and the year 2012, plus the fate of humanity.
With the help of her friend Justine back home, and Alex, a gorgeous and mysterious Scottish boy, Caity must race to decipher the code and reveal its message to the world before time runs out.
I would also like to send out a big thank you to Nikki of Wicked Awesome Books. I won Prophecy of Days, which has been one of my favorite books this year, from her. 

Review:
Taken by the Others ARC (An H&W Investigations Novel, book 2) by Jess Haines, 2011.
Once, New York P.I. Shiarra Waynest’s most pressing problem was keeping her agency afloat. Now she’s dealing with two dangerous, seductive vampires who have been enemies for centuries. The only thing Max Carlyle and Alec Royce agree on is that they both want Shia–for very different reasons.


Max is determined to destroy Shia for killing his progeny, while Royce’s interest is a lot more personal. That’s not sitting well with Shia’s werewolf boyfriend, Chaz. As the feud between Max and Royce gets ever more deadly, a powerful vampire-hunting faction is urging Shia to join their side. Shia has always believed vamps were the bad guys, but she’s discovering unexpected shades of grey that are about to redefine her friends, her loyalties–and even her desires…
(synopsis from goodreads.com)
I'm so excited, this is my first review book. *fans self* Can't wait to read it. My thanks go out to Tori of Book Faery, who hosted the contest, and author Jess Haines, who supplied the ARC.  

Library:
Eyes Like Stars (Theatre Illuminata, book 1) by Lisa Mantchev, 2009.
All her world's a stage.

Beatrice Shakespeare Smith is not an actress, yet she lives in a theater.
She is not an orphan, but she has no parents.
She knows every part, but has no lines of her own.
Until now.
Welcome to the Théâtre Illuminata, where the characters of every place ever written can be found behind the curtain. They were born to play their parts, and are bound to the Théâtre by The Book—an ancient and magical tome of scripts. Bertie is not one of them, but they are her family—and she is about to lose them all and the only home she has ever known
I have finally decided, after much consideration, to read Eyes Like Stars, and so far it's really good.

Borrowed:
Nightlife (Cal Leandros, book 1) by Rob Thurman, 2006. 
In New York, there's a troll under the Brooklyn Bridge, a boggle in Central Park, and a beautiful vampire in a penthouse on the Upper East Side. Of course, most humans are oblivious to this, but Cal Leandros is only half-human. His father's dark lineage is the stuff of nightmares-and he and his entire otherworldly race are after Cal.


He and his half-brother Niko have managed to stay a step ahead for three years, but now Cal's dad has found them again. And Cal is about to learn why they want him, why they've always wanted him...for he is
Nightlife was borrowed from Zombie Girrrl. Thanks, ZG.

During my break I had checked out a couple other books from the library, but sinced I was an able to read them I returned them, so I'll just post links to the books I failed to read.
Invitation Only- Kate Brian (I might give this book another shot at a later date).
Grace Hammer (A Novel of the Victorian Underworld)- Sara Stockbridge (I was highly disappointed in the two chapters that I read of it. I just didn't like the style of writing).

Well that's all for me this week. Hope y'all had a great book week.

Comments

  1. Nice books! Eyes Like Stars is wonderful, and I've heard Incarceron is amazing too.

    Hope you enjoy them all! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ♥LOVED♥LOVED♥LOVED♥ Incarceron, Prophecy of Days, and Eyes Like Stars!!! You got some REALLY GREAT books this week. Hope you enjoy them all! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sitting here struggling with revisions on Book II of Prophecy of Days, but seeing a post about how much you loved Book I has completely recharged me! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great books, Prophecy Of Days looks like it will be awesome! :) I hope you enjoy them all!

    Mine is here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read 3 our of 5 of those and loved each one! (Incarceron, Prophecy of Days and Eyes Like Stars).I wish you many happy days of reading excellent books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you scored some great books. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I can't wait to read Incarceron - I love the cover of it. It sounds like an amazing book. I look forward to your thoughts on it.

    Megan @ Read It, See It

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to read Taken by the Others. I hope that you enjoy it. Check out my mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eek, all of these look good.. what a great week for you!
    Here is my mailbox for the week <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your win. Incarceron is on my wishlist. Here's what I received.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great stash of books. Taken By The Others in on my wish list.

    Happy Reading,
    Jules

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts