Drowned Ammet

Author: Diana Wynne Jones
Title: Drowned Ammet1
Series: Dalemark Quartet (book 2)
Publication Date: 1977
Number of Pages: 336
Genre: Fantasy
Synopsis: "The people of Holand in South Dalemark are bitterly oppressed by the tyrannical earl Hadd. Informers, secret police, and cruel rent-collectors terrorize the countryside, and Mitt has grown up with more than enough reasons for joining the freedom fighters."

I just realized that I have past the 300 mile marker on posts. *does happy dance* I'm quite shocked right now and am going to get back to sharing my thoughts on Drowned Ammet.


While I really enjoyed reading Cart and Cwidder, I thought Drowned Ammet was the better of the two.
I liked Drowned Ammet more because it had more action and the story was darker then the previous book.
One of the things that made Drowned Ammet so good is how the story is told from two very different points of views. On one hand you have Mitt, who is trying to avenge the death of his father by turning against the Freedom Fighters that betrayed his father and make Earl Hadd pay for his crimes against the common people of South Dalemark; while on the other hand you have Ynen and his sister Hildy who are the Earls grand kids. Spoiled, yet unhappy with their stations and with how they're treated.
I loved how the story was quick paced without the book seeming like it was skipping or glossing over certain points.
My favorite part of Drowned Ammet would have to have been when Mitt, Ynen, and Hildy ended up traveling together and the squabbles that ensued from their mistrust of each other. Although, the twist near the end of the book was a bit of a shocker, which makes it my second favorite part of the book.
Least favorite part of the book would have to have been how Mitt's mother was the one who pushed him to take revenge on the Freedom Fighters, and how she kept spending the little money that they made on frivolous stuff.
I would definitely have to say that Drowned Ammet is one of the best books by Diana Wynne Jones that I have ever read.

Drowned Ammet earns 5 out of 5 pineapples.
______________________________________________________
1. Drowned Ammet was borrowed from the library.

Comments

  1. I love Diana Wynne JOnes, and this sounds like her at her best. Thanks for the review! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts