A Break With Charity: A Story About the Salem Witch Trials

Author: Ann Rinaldi
Title: A Break With Charity: A Story About the Salem Witch Trials1
Series: Great Episodes
Publication Date: 1992
Number of Pages: 272
Genre: Historical Fiction/ YA
Synopsis: "Susanna English desperately wants to join the circle of girls who meet every week at the parsonage, but she doesn’t realize the leader of the group, the malicious Ann Putnam, is about to set off a torrent of false accusations that will lead to the imprisonment and execution of countless innocent people-victims of a witch-hunt panic."

I cannot believe that I put off reading A Break with Charity: A Story About the Salem Witch Trials for so long. The story, characters, and Ann Rinaldi’s writing drew me in from the very first sentence and didn’t let go of me till long after I had finished reading it (like, a couple of days later).

I enjoyed how at the beginning of the book the witch trials were already over and that Susannah’s story was told from her remembrance of the tragedy and her part in it.
It was kind of horrifying to read about how people took advantage of the witch craze to make their neighbors suffer for the real or supposed wrongs that they had committed against them.
This time around I couldn’t put my thumb on a scene that I would single out as my favorite and I also (shocker) don’t have a single part of the book that I didn’t like. A Break with Charity: A Story About the Salem Witch Trials was just too good and had too many great scenes to choose from.
I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in reading about the Salem Witch Trials.

A Break with Charity: A Story About the Salem Witch Trials earns 5 out of 5 pineapples.

Orchid
_______________________________________________
1. A Break With Charity: A Story About the Salem Witch Trials was borrowed from the library.

Comments

  1. Hi Orchid! I wanted to let you know that I gave you an award on my blog. Click HERE to see it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated! Let's keep it clean, y'all!

Popular Posts